Nov 15, 2006

Kashmiri Pulao


This is my Amma’s most Beautiful, Colorful and Tasty Creation. I love this Sweetie, Fruity and Nutty Pulao. Because it is colorful and has the fruits and nuts and since we use Saffron, we named it Kashmiri Pulao. The recipe for the Pulao is very simple but a little time consuming, since we have to gather all the ingredients. Once everything is assembled, it’s just mixing the ingredients with the rice. Very Simple and definitely worth the try. Here is the recipe.


Ingredients:



Rice:

Sona Masoori Rice or Basmathi rice – 1 cup (I use Ravi sona masoori rice. For this pulao any kind of rice is okay except the sticky rice. Basmathi rice would taste even better)
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – 2 teaspoons
Saffron – ¾ teaspoon

Fresh fruits:

Apple – 1 – chopped
Pomegranate – ½ cup seeds – washed (Wash the seeds because the juice will stain the rice and other ingredients)



Nuts/Dry fruits:

Sliced Almonds – 2 tablespoons
Broken Cashews – 3 tablespoons
Raisins – 3 tablespoons


Vegetables:

Carrots – ¾ cup chopped
Green Peas – ¾ cup chopped
Yellow corn – ½ cup


Others:

Tutti Frutti
Cardamom – 4 to 5 pods
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Sugar - 2 teaspoons

Method:

1. Cook rice with Saffron, Sugar and Salt and separate grains. Keep it aside in a large mixing bowl.

2. Boil water and add the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Drain water and keep it aside.

3. Ghee fry the Dry fruits. Keep it aside.

4. To the rice, add the Cooked vegetables, Fresh Fruits, Ghee roasted Dry Fruits, Crushed Cardamom, Ghee, Sugar and Tutti Frutti. Mix gently until all the ingredients are distributed evenly.

Serve warm or at room temperature.


This is my entry to Mixed rice varieties event hosted by EC of Simple Indian Food.

This is also my entry to "Recipes for the rest of us" event hosted by Ramki of One page cookbooks.

30 comments:

TNL said...

WOW...what a delicious medley of flavors and textures. I have never had sona masoori rice, what's the flavor like?

Cheers,Trupti

Mythreyee said...

hey trupti, thanks for the comment. I used sona masoori rice because that's my daily rice. I use the ravi brand. Its just like any other raw rice. For this Pulao you can use any kind of rice.

Anonymous said...

aaahaaa!barla Egale?too tempting.

Mythreyee said...

Happy Birthday to you dear sister. Enjoy your day and may God shower his choicest blessings on you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. The photos and recipes are too good. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Very colourful dish.

FH said...

What a colorful recipe! Combination of sweet and spice, perfect.Yummy Mythreyee:)

Jayashree said...

Fruits, nuts and veggies - with a combo like this you can't go wrong. Thx for sharing,M.

Mythreyee said...

I have a sweet tooth and I really enjoy this yummy delight.

Thanks everyone.

Pooja said...

hi,
this is my first time visit here.
what a wonederful recipe of kashmiri pulao. i ll surely give it a try. i jsut love these pics and colorful presentation.
thought to add you on my blogroll. May i?
do visit my blog if u get time. I would like to have u as blog buddy. :) .
thanks
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

Wow !! amazing pictures here. pretty tempting. Thnx for sharing

Mythreyee said...

hey Pooja and Jayshree, thanks for dropping by and thanks for the compliments. pls drop by for more vegetarian recipes.

Sia said...

hi...
my first time here and i'm amazed to see so many posts.. very colourful and well presented...
happy blogging
cheers
supriya
p.s: hey r u a kannadiga like me?

Krithika said...

Looks so colorful ! You have a great blog !

Mythreyee said...

thanks a lot Sia and krithika. and thanks a lot for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

The pulao looks lovely...fantastic mixture and seems simple to make....thanks for sharing

Mythreyee said...

thanks dilip.

Nivedita Das Kannan said...

Hi Mythreyee,
I am newly married and I didnot try my hands on Cooking until I got married and now I try anything from Indian to Chinese to Italian.This is my first time I hit your blog and I found this delicious looking Kashmiri Pulao yesterday. Today when I tried it, it came superbly !! It looked exactly like the shown picture which was so encouraging to me!! Thanks for posting such wonderful recipes like this.Keep Posting & Keep the Good Work !!!

Mythreyee said...

Hi Nivedita, thanks a lot. very nice of you for taking time to tell me that the pulao came out well. you have encouraged me now. thanks for the support. Also, if you have a blog, let me know, I will add it to my blog roll.

Anonymous said...

i dont get pomegrenate seeds ...could u pls tell me the substitute for this fruit...thnx

Mythreyee said...

Hari Priya, thanks for all your comments. if you don't get pomegranate seeds, try substituting with small sweet green grapes,seedless.make half of each grape before adding.

swapna susarla said...

Hi muthreyee

no words to say how btw.it is.nice pictures taken.good work.

Viv C said...

super yummy!!!
Add pineapple to make it more fruti-licious!!!!!

anum yaqub said...

BEST KASHMIRI PULAO I EVER MAD. N SOO EASY, EVEN FOR A NOVICE.

Neha said...

So beautiful.. will try it soon :)

poornima said...

Hello Mythreyee,

Thanks for posting such wonderful recipes.
We went through the various recipes posted by you. The blog is very well maintained. Keep up the good work.

Poornima.

Anonymous said...

Neat post!

Anonymous said...

hi!

what is TUTTI FRUTTI??

Mythreyee said...

It's glaced/candied fruit that is usually one of the main ingredients for a fruit cake.

Anonymous said...

really very colourful .children may be like to eat this pulao.