Nov 15, 2007

Mentha Palidhya - Spiced Buttermilk




Mentha Palidhya is a wonderful substitute for the usual Majjige Palidhya, and is a great dish for diet conscious people since there is no coconut in this recipe. (Mentha is Fenugreek and Palidhya is spiced buttermilk, a dish from Karnataka)

Ingredients:

3 cups Buttermilk (Not too diluted)

Oil for seasoning

1 teaspoon Mustard seeds

2 Red Chillis

1 vertically slit green chilli

1 teaspoon grated Ginger

1 teaspoon Toor Dal

Less than 1/4 teaspoon Mentha (Fenugreek seeds)

Turmeric Powder

Asafoetida Powder

Curry Leaves

Salt

Method:

Add Turmeric Powder and Salt to the Buttermilk and mix really well. Keep it aside.

Heat Oil in a kadai and spatter the mustard seeds, add Toor Dal, Chillis, Grated Ginger, Asafoetida powder, Mentha and Curry Leaves. Add the Buttermilk and give a stir. Wait until one boil and turn off the heat.

For best results, keep mentha palidhya closed, for aleast a couple of hours before serving.

If you think the buttermilk is too diluted, mix a tablespoon of gram flour to it. Make sure there are no lumps.

Serve with steaming rice.

8 comments:

FH said...

Oh Myth, it looks so good. I love the color. I don't add any turmeric to that, a must try.Thanks girl!:))

Finla said...

I make this sometimes just for me. I love it but my hubby and daughter doesn't like it. For me i eat it just with plain rice and this buttermilk curry. Of course when i mix with rice i add a bit more salt to it.

Seema Bhat said...

I love spiced buttermilk a lot and we make it in n number of ways. As Asha said I never add turmeric powder. Should give it a try your way next time. Great picture.

remya said...

i make this once in a week..i love them...im kerala..we call it as pulisseri/kalan..a little variation is there...just love ur mentha palidhya lovely color...

Mythreyee said...

Asha: Let me try not adding turmeric, next time I make. Thanks.

Happy Cook: Yes, I agree, not everyone likes it. If I have this rice with spicy roasted aaloo curry, I call it HEAVEN.

Seema: I definitely should try without turmeric.

Remya: Thanks gal, I too love its color and I am sure there will be at least one recipe like this in every state. Let me look for the pulisseri/kalan recipe on the net and try it once. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mythreyee, I can't tell you how tempting this looks right now! I must try soon :)

Bharathy said...

My alltime comfy food is here!:)

Try Mango icecream with creamy sort mangoes otherwise water crystals may form while freezing..
Homemade cream(aadai)is always better :)..if not in stock opt readymade ones...Unga oorla kedakkathatha?athuvum best quality :)

Mythreyee said...

Linda: Thanks! dear. Try it out. It will be ready in no time. A very good comfort food that is healthy.

Bharathy: Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the ice cream ideas. I will make it one day of sure. I am going to try with the mango pulp that I get here. Cream, I can make it at home. thanks dear.