Mar 29, 2007

Tomato Chapathis



Experimenting with Tomatoes which is the JFI for the month of April, hosted by RP of My Work Shop, I tried a new dish. I actually wanted to contribute some gravy with this versatile vegetable and finally landed in preparing delicious Tomato Chapathis. Awesome delight for Tomato Lovers. Here's how I made.

Ingredients:

Red Ripe Tomatoes - 4 to 5

Oil for seasoning

Cumin Seeds - 1 tablespoon

Red Chilli Powder

Asafoetida Powder

Salt

Wheat Flour - 1 1/2 to 2 cups



Method:

Heat Oil in a Kadai and add the Cumin Seeds, then add the Chopped Tomatoes. (Blancing the Tomatoes is optional). When the content heats up add the Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida Powder and Salt.

Fry the Tomatoes until the Tomtoes are well mashed and blends into a gravy.

Allow it to cool completely.

Add Wheat Flour little by little to the cooled gravy. Add little water only if required. Knead the dough well. Do not add oil or salt as the gravy already contains those ingredients.

Proceed like doing the regular chapathis. Make small balls out of the dough. Roll and Toss in the hot Tawa. Use Ghee on both sides, if the chapathis are consumed immediately or use Oil if its going to be consumed after some time.

These colorful Chapathis go well with a dollop of Sour Cream or Yogurt. No other special gravy required.



19 comments:

swapna susarla said...

Hi mythreyee
good one..never think of tomato chapathi.will try it .

FH said...

I almost made these Tomato chapatis after making beet and Avacado rotis!!I think Seema had made these few weeks ago.

Looks good.My new Tomatoey post is out:)

Sharmi said...

hey nice entry yarr!! looks so colorfull and tempting to eat.

cheers
sharmi

USHA said...

Hi Mythi,

Wonderful entry for the event pa..

Never tried chappathi in this style..looks rich and interesting too

Mythreyee said...

Swapna: Sure, its very good recipe to try.

Asha: Thanks and will check Seema's blog and try her version.

Sharmi: Thanks.

Usha: Thanks Usha and I am looking forward to the roundup of amazing delights with tomatoes.

Mandira said...

Mythreyee, the chapatis look delicious and colorful. Great entry for JFI.

Mythreyee said...

Mandira: Thanks.

Menu Today said...

Hi Mythreyee,
Lovely looking tomato chappathi.
Thanks for sharing. Great Entry for JFI.

Mythreyee said...

Menu Today: Thanks.

DEEPA said...

Hi mythreyee

Good one .will surely try this one too . I am actully new to this blog .Inspired by you guys who are doing such a great job i am also in the process of starting a blog . Just started of a few things to begin with .My blogs name is http://recipesnmore.blogspot.com/.I have not fully constructed it .but will soon upload more of my recipes .I am doing a radio prgm which is online tamil radio.
will surely try your recipe today and let you know

Suganya said...

hi,
Ur tomato chapathi is very nice. I have heard of tomato poris but first time i am seeing tomato chapathis, Its very nice.

Mythreyee said...

Deepa: Welcome! and Thanks.

Visited your site and it looks good.

Sukanya: Thanks for dropping by. Try and let me know if you liked it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i tried it.it was very good:)

Anonymous said...

Neeta said...

Excellent tomato purees. I can't believe my eyes,looking yummy and delicious

Mythreyee said...

thanks for trying. I am happy you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Good one...

SUJA said...

I tried it...It was very good...
Im adding this recipe to my bog as well..
Hope u dont mind..

Mythreyee said...

Sure. No probs.

Anonymous said...

very very delicious wah maja a gaya ....thanks for recipi