Mar 14, 2007

Palak Paneer


I googled for Palak Paneer. As I was searching for the recipe, I came across various versions. Got really confused which one to follow, I decided to bring up my own version. I got an idea of what the gravy consists of, so, grabbed the ingredients and started doing it in my own style. The Palak Paneer turned out really good and we all enjoyed it with the soft Chapathis. The recipe for Palak Paneer ( My version ) is very very simple. Here's it is.

Ingredients:

Spinach - Chopped - 2 to 3 cups ( I used one full packet of Fresh Spinach Leaves available in the Indian Store)


Onions - 2 ( Preferably Red Onions)

Garlic Cloves - 3 to 4 ( Optional )

Juicy Tomatoes - 3

Masoor Dal - 2 tablespoons

Cumin Seeds - 2 teaspoons

Dhania Powder - 2 tablespoons

Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon

Red Chilli Powder - 1 teapspoon

Oil for Seasoning

Ghee for enhancing the flavor ( Optional )

Salt as required

Sugar - 1 teaspoon

Deep Fried Paneer Cubes - handful - ( I used the readymade Fried Paneer Cubes available in the frozen Section in the Indian Grocery Store )

Method:


Pressure Cook Masoor Dal and Spinach together (adding little water) for 2 whistles and Cool.

Chop Garlic, Onions and Tomatoes. Save a tablespoon of onions. Heat Oil in a kadai and season with Cumin Seeds. Then add Onion. Then, Garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes and then add the Tomatoes. Fry until all the liquid is absorbed. Cool the Content.

Drain water from the Spinach Masoor Dal and Save the Water.

Grind the fried Tomato Onion with Cooked Spinach Masoor.

Heat Oil on a Kadai and fry a tablespoon of chopped onions. Add the Dhania Powder and fry for a second. Add the ground mixture. Boil in medium heat. Use the saved water to loosen the gravy. Stir in the Salt and Sugar. Add Garam Masala Powder and Red Chilli Powder. Boil the content for a couple of minutes.

Add the Paneer Cubes. Turn down the heat. Allow some time for the Paneer to absorb the gravy. Delicious Palak Paneer is ready. Stir in the Ghee and serve with Soft Chapathis.

8 comments:

Sia said...

even i end up making something of my own recipe in the end:)
lovely texture and colour girl:)

FH said...

I was thinking Palak Paneer yesterdayand here it is!:))I do that too,end up with my own version even if I make somebody else's recipe!;D
Looks great,Paneer tends to melt away in the hot sauce,cut inti big chunks to keep the shape.

USHA said...

Hi Mythi,

Great invention,,....sometimes i pan alot after searching sites,but finally endup in my own version, which has tuned out good.

Palak Paneer looks delicious and rich ....Let me try, i never tried at home...

Mythreyee said...

Sia, Asha, Usha: Thanks and yes, when we are comfortable with working on each or even few ingredients in the kitchen, then, its all creativity in our hands I guess. This applies to anyone.

Unknown said...

I have 2 different types of Masoor Dal - orange & brown. Which one should i use? Am i supose to soke it in water before i cook it?

Mythreyee said...

Use the orange. You don't have to soak. It cooks pretty fast. Thanks!

Laddoo said...

Its a wonderful recipe. You can check some more delicious Palak Paneer Recipes here.

Unknown said...

Your Palak paneer sounds great. If you want to try another recipe, try Palak Paneer