Mar 9, 2007

Soft Chapathis


Anyone can make soft chapathis. The real challenge is, Does it remain soft for a longer time? I was wondering why my chapathis do not remain soft for even half an hour. I tried different brands of flour. Finally, I got what I wanted. The magic flour is Pillsbury Chakki Fresh Atta (which is whole wheat). Now, the Chapathis are so soft for longer hours. That gives me the energy and enthu to prepare chapathis everyday. Here's how I make Chapathis.

Ingredients:

2 Cups - Pillsbury Chakki Fresh Atta
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 tablespoon Oil
water
Little oil for making chapathis

Method:

Mix the salt and oil to the flour. Add water little by little and Knead the dough. The consistency should not be too sticky or too hard.

Make small balls and roll each ball. Dredge in the flour if its sticky.

Heat a Tawa and place a rolled chapathi. After you notice the chapathi slightly puffing, immediately apply very very little oil and press all around and turn around the chapathi ( Do not allow the other side to become too dry). Press the Chapathi. Again you will notice the chapathi puffing. Again apply very little oil on the upper side and turn around the chapathi again. After a couple of seconds, take away the chapathi from the Tawa. The final product should still be soft. These chapathis are healthy and remain soft for longer duration.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm....Madam on a full swing now!! Happy to see u back in action. Lovely!! Take care.

Pavani said...

I would love to make chapathis that stay softer longer. My chapathis are good when eaten hot. Thanks for sharing your experience with Pillsbury atta. Will try this next time. Did you get this from Indian store? Thanks.

Mythreyee said...

Anisha: yes, Back to routine in full swing. Thanks.

Pavani: I got it in an Indian Store. Hit the flour name in google images to see how it looks. Its really a healty flour. I love it.

Priya said...

My mother shifted to Pillsbury too for softer chapties. I buy Golden Temple brand here and use a little milk/curd instead of just water. This addition makes the chapatis soft and whiter too :-)

Mythreyee said...

Thanks for the input. I still have some golden temple atta, may be I can give a try your way. Thanks.

USHA said...

Hi Mythi,

In India i was using Pillsbury or other brand...Here i have the problem reagarding softness...Now i started using Deep company's whole wheat....It is good and soft.

KF said...

I am first time here.I am also using the same atta.My chappathi is ok.and I am using hot water and no oil,I will try ur way today.

Anonymous said...

Hey My!
I'm so hungry seeing them right now. I want soft chappathis too!
:)

Sia said...

amma uses pilsbusry and annapurna atta for making chapatis. i have not seen them here in any of the supermarkets.

Mythreyee said...

Usha: Let me see if I can get Deep Company's flour here. Thanks.

Kitchen fairy: Thanks. Sure, try this way. I have tried Hot water and with no oil but the chapathis weren't soft.

Sia: Yes, I heard Annapoorna is also good. My MIL uses that in India. Thanks.

KF said...

Yes dear I got the soft Chappathis today..I tried in ur way Result was excellent,After hours the softness was there..Thank you

KF said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Try adding hot 'boiling' water while making the dough. Cook as usual as u have mentioned but no need to use oil while cooking. Chapathis made this way stays very soft even for a whole day.

Mythreyee said...

Anonymous: Thanks for your idea. I shall do it as said. Sounds good since I am on a fat free diet.

Anonymous said...

Hey Just wanted to know if Deep chapati flour contains maida also?

Mythreyee said...

You should see the nutrition facts in the packet. I have not bought Deep atta so I don't know. Sorry. But chakki fresh atta from pillsbury is 100% whole wheat.

Unknown said...

Any kind of atta that u take, mix with little salt and hot water. The dough should be little soft to make into a ball. The chapathis remain softer the wohole day.