Nov 21, 2006

Plantain Roast


Got Plantains? Here is a recipe for a delightful ‘Plantain Roast’ (Vaazhakka Roast) that I want to share. Best when served as a side for Saaru anna (Rasam) or Curd rice.

Ingredients:

Plantains (Vaazhakka) – 2
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt
Red Chilli Powder
Turmeric Powder
Asafoetida

Method:

Apply little oil in your palm and scrape the Plantain (Just remove the green layer using peeler). Dice the Plantain into small cubes.

Heat a heavy bottomed Kadai, preferably non-stick. Add the Plantain and give it a stir. Keep in Low Heat. After sometime, Sprinkle very little water over the vegetable and add Salt, Red Chilli powder, Turmeric Powder and Asafoetida and give it a stir and continue roasting in low heat. Stir occasionally. If the vegetable becomes extremely dry, sprinkle little water. Do not damp the vegetable too much. Keep in low heat until the vegetable is cooked. Keep a little longer if you want a crispy plantain roast.

6 comments:

Sia said...

maythreyee... plaintain fry looks absolutely divine... i have made plaintain palya/curry and posted in my blog sometime bk but ur recipe looks really cool... will ive it a shot soon and let u know:)
cheers
supriya

Mythreyee said...

Thanks Sia. Let me check your site and try your version too.

Tanuja said...

Hi mythreyee,

I love ur recipe thanks for sharing this, this goes to my must do list.

USHA said...

Hi Mythreyee,

All your receipes are cool and yummy.I thought of planning to post plaintain.curry next,suprise to see your fry here...

Even my hubby is gr8 fan of that ghajani song...me too...

Ashwini said...

I absolutely love plantain so this looks like something I'd like to try

Mythreyee said...

Tanuja: Thanks a lot Tanuja and thanks for dropping by.

Usha: Thanks a lot Usha.

I just love the song and I think every song in that movie is good and liked by everyone. thanks for dropping by. Waiting for your version of Plantain curry.

Ashwini: Thanks Ashwini.