Dec 20, 2007

Eggless Butter Cookies





Its holiday season and lots of baking going on around the world. Getting into the mode of preparing cookies, I googled for eggless versions. Looking at the many versions, I noticed that one thing was common. Beating butter with sugar and mixing some flour, the standard way of preparing simple cookies. With this in mind, I came up with a simple recipe, with very few ingredients and named it 'eggless butter cookies'. This can be tried by anyone. There is nothing in the procedure that can go wrong. This is my entry to the 'Eat Chrismas Cookies', a food blogga's event for christmas cookies roundup.

Ingredients:

1 cup Butter (at room temperature)

1 cup Powdered sugar

1 teaspoon Cardamom Extract (just add your favorite extract)

2 cups of All purpose flour (I used maida)

1 teaspoon Baking powder

1/2 teaspoon Baking soda

Tutty fruity for decorating the cookies (optional)

Method:

Take the softened butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and whisk using an electirc hand mixer. Cream until light and fluffy. Add the Extract and whisk again.

Take the Flour in another bowl. Add the Baking powder and Baking soda and (dry) whisk well. Incorporate the Flour slowly in the cream while mixing at the same time, until well blended. The cookie dough is ready.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Now, make small balls and place it in an ungreased cookie sheet (use parchment paper) providing atleast 3/4th to 1 inch distance between the balls.

Decorating the cookie is up to you. I pressed each ball with the fork to dent lines. The second time, I tried pressing and placing Tutty fruity in the middle. Bake at 300 degrees for atleast approximately 20 minutes. The cookie is done when it turns lightly brown. Cool them and store in airtight containter. If the cookies are small, the yield is atleast a little more than a couple of dozens.

20 comments:

FH said...

Yummy! I like the festive decoration on top. Great entry. I posted a butter cookie too, Iyengar style with a bit of Vanilla essence!:)
Happy holidays.

Mansi said...

wow, that looks nice! I amde eggless peppermint and vanilla butter cookies too for Susan's event:)

Pooja V said...

yumm...loved this version.

Mythreyee said...

Asha: Thanks much. Yes, I saw. I loved it. Will try the Iyengar style cookies soon.

Mansi Desai: Will drop by. I like the peppermint and vanilla combo.

Pooja: Thanks!

amna said...

its rainin xmas cookies. and i am loving it!!

USHA said...

Hi Mythee...

Cookies looks perfect like store bought pa....hmm eggless...your cookies has dig my feelings again to try cookie....Thanks for sharing.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mythreyee, thank you for a lovely submission. I'm sure my readers will appreciate your recipe for eggless butter cookies. It's so nice to have different varieties of traditional cookies. Cheers, Susan

Mythreyee said...

nags, usha, susan, Thanks!

USHA said...

Hi Mythre,
Thanks alot for your lovely wishes.

I too wish the same...:))

Sagari said...

wonderfull cookies

Mythreyee said...

Usha, Sagari, Thanks!

Unknown said...

hi Mythreyee...
I have a microwave and the max power in it is 100 degrees(Im not sure). how long shud I bake the cookies?

Unknown said...

hi Mythreyee

Ur cookies sound yummy... I hv a microwave (the max heat I think is 100 degrees). Shud I keep the cookies in for a longer time?

Mythreyee said...

100 degrees is not enough to bake cookies. You might want to try this is a proper conventional oven. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mythreyee, The cookies look yummy. Thanks for the reipe. I came across this one while searching for eggless cookies. I tried the recipe and the cookies came out good, crisp and buttery. For decoration, I placed toasted cashews on top of each cookie. However, the cooking time was a little off as it took a little around 30 min to be done at 300 F in my (almost new) oven. I just felt the temperature could be 350 F (as is usually the case for most baking recipes). Also, the cookies were very sweet. I will definitely try again with a little more flour (1 sugar: 2.5 / 3 cups flour).

priya said...

hey its a verg good cookies.
thank a lot ..pls also check out other recipes here too.i've just started .

ankita said...

hey, can we use, ghee instead of butur, in case wo availbale na ho,,

ankita said...

can we use, ghee in place of buter in case nt available, or hurry

Mythreyee said...

ankita, you may use ghee but the taste will differ.

Priya Vijaykumar said...

Hi Mythreyee,

Tried your butter cookies for my son's school party. Thank you so much. The output was excellent. finally got the secret of making yummy, crispy and tasty cookies. Thanks once again.