May 8, 2007

Carrot Halwa


Here is one of my favorite Halwa. I just followed Malika Badrinath's recipe for Carrot Halwa and it came out very well. Before following her recipe, I fried the Grated Carrot in a tablespoon of Ghee. I also added Saffron strands and extra Ghee for flavor. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Grated Carrots - 3 cups

Milk - 1 1/2 cups

Sugar - 1 cup

Ghee - 3 tablespoons

Cardamom Powder - 1/2 teaspoons

Saffron Strands - a pinch

Chopped Cashewnuts - 2 tablespoons

Method:

In a heavy bottomed kadai, fry the grated carrots in a tablespoon of ghee for one minute. Then add the milk and saffron and pressure cook for one whistle.

To this, add sugar and keep stirring in a heavy bottomed kadai in medium heat.


When complete moisture is absorbed, add half of the ghee. Fry for two more minutes and remove from heat.

Fry the cashewnuts in the remaining ghee and add it to the halwa with the cardamom powder. Mix well. Serve warm or at room temperature or serve warm with a dollop of Ice cream.


Note: Reduce the sugar if the carrot is too sweet..


(I did the whole procedure in my non stick prestige kadai pressure cooker).

19 comments:

FH said...

Looks great.Lovely color too.I mixed some Beets in there too for even more brilliant color!;)
Enjoy Myth.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Mythreyee,
Nice and simple recipe. I too got small non-stick handi cooker. It looks so cute. Will give it a go in this one. Thanks for the recipe and tip.

cheers
rajani

Menu Today said...

Hi Mythreyee,
Like Asha I too add beetroot to this halwa.Your version looks yummy!!!!

Viji said...

Very colourful and nice recipe. Viji

Sia said...

carrot halwa looks very lovely... love it with dollop of vanilla ice cream:)

Roopa said...

wow looks very good, i havent tried pressuring cooking will try too


www.recipeofchoice,wordpress.com

DEEPA said...

I love carrot halwa mythree..simple and very neat recipe ....thks for sharing

Mythreyee said...

Asha: I used to add beets. Beets give both color and taste. I will also do beets halwa.

Rajani: thanks for dropping by. Yes, this kind of cooker is very very handy for all pulaos, gravies and sweets like this.

Menu Today: Thanks.

Viji: Thanks.

Sia: Hmm.. my mouth is watering. I sometimes serve ice cream with warm gulab jamuns.

Roopa: I pressure cook because it reduces the cooking time.

Deepa: Thanks.

Sharmi said...

carrot halwa looks awesome. Lovely colour. I miss my mom:( she make delicious carrot halwa.

Anonymous said...

I love carrot halwa. But I must try it using your method. It looks delicious. I make a similar halwa with pumpkin or butternut squash.

Mythreyee said...

Sharmi: Thanks. I am waiting to taste my mom's halwa now.

Nature and Me: Sure, and let me also try the same with Butternut Squash and Pumpkin. Thanks.

sunny said...

Thanks a lot for the recipe. I just tried it and it tastes really good.. I did it for the first time... :)

Unknown said...

good thank you

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. It turned out really good for me!

rock renegade "shawn" said...

Thanks for d recipe its really yummy !

rock renegade "shawn" said...

This is d best gajjar halwa ever its yummy !

Anonymous said...

thanks for the wonderful easy recipe... prepared twice following the recipe and came out good... thank you :)

Bee Gee said...

Thanks for the perfect recipe....my family enjoyed it

Bee Gee said...

Thanks for the perfect recipe.....my family loved it!