Feb 25, 2008

Majjige huli with winter melon


This is a traditional south indian dish called majjige huli or majjige palidha in Kannada and Moru kozhambu in Tamil. As the name says, this gravy is a mixture of ground coconut and buttermilk (majjige), spiced with green chillies and flavoured with cumin that is added to the vegetable. I have used winter melon which is called vellai pooshani kaai in tamil. There are different versions of preparing Majjige huli and this is my mom's recipe.

Ingredients:

Winter melon - 2 cups - diced into 1 inch cubes

Oil for seasoning

Mustard seeds - half teaspoon

Urud dal - half teaspoon

Butter milk - 1 cup

Turmeric powder - half teaspoon

Asafoetida powder

Curry leaves - from 2 strands

Salt as required

Grind together the following:

Grated fresh coconut - half cup

Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon

Green chillies - 2

Channa dal - 1 tablespoon (which is soaked in water for 15 minutes) - optional

Method:

Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds, when it pops, add the urud dal. When it turns light brown, add the diced winter melon, curry leaves, asafoetida powder and salt. Stir for few seconds and add one or one and half cups of water. Let it boil until the vegetable is cooked.

Meanwhile, add turmeric powder to the buttermilk and mix well. Keep it aside.

When the vegetable is cooked, add the ground coconut masala and mix well.

When it starts bubbling, reduce the heat and add the buttermilk.

Wait for just one boil and remove from heat.

This can be done using different vegetables:

Potato: Follow the same recipe, substitute potato in the place of winter melon.

Okra/ladies finger - cut into 1 inch length: Instead of adding water to cook, roast the okra.

You can substitute with other vegetables of your choice but winter melon and okra & potato are the popular vegetables for this majjige huli.

Serve with white rice. Enjoy with a spicy roasted vegetable or pappad.


This is my entry to LIVESTRONG DAY 2008 - the taste of yellow hosted in the winosandfoodies.com

22 comments:

FH said...

GOR-GE-OUS!! Love the color. I can't wait until I grow some Bird house gourd which is same as the Ash gourd. I haven't made Majjige huli in a long time, got to now, it looks mouthwatering!:)

Guess what? You can send this to Yellow food for Live Strong event. Info on my sidebar, just added it today!

Finla said...

I love this. Can eat them with plain rice. Actually while writting the womment i am thinking about the times when my mom made this and how we used to enjoy eating them with plain rice.

Mythreyee said...

Asha: Thanks. Thanks for letting me know about the taste of yellow event. I have sent this recipe for the roundup.

Happycook: It's very nostalgic. This is my mom's recipe, still, I cannot forget the taste of majjige huli that my mom prepares.

Cham said...

The color is simply superb. Tempting to cook soon in my kitchen:)

Unknown said...

Hi Mythryee - thank you for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow. The round up will be posted on 13th May. I love to use tumeric. It adds fabulous colour to the dish. Your Majjige huli looks delicious.

Red Chillies said...

Yum yum yum, I can virtually live on Majjige huli for days. I can eat it with chapathi, rice, dosa, idli. I know I Am so shameless :-)

Beautiful picture and presentation!

Kalai said...

Love mor kuzhambu! This is actually very similar to my mother's recipe. Looks wonderful! :)

vimmi said...

I love these kinds of curries. They are so satisfying. Just started making some of these. MAde it with white pumpkin some time back. Lovely color.

Uma said...

I prepare the majjiga pulusu or huli in the same way you have prepared. I use potatoes too for this. This is really a lovely dish, Mythreyee! Wonderful entry. Love the color.

Rupa said...

Looks Awesome and mouthwatering.This is one of my favourite dish especially with Budakumbalkai.

Dhivya said...

Wow!more kuzhambu..kalakals myth!I am searching for this recipe..thanks for sharing..will try them for sure,..

Sagari said...

This is one of my favvvv recipe ,I just love it

Mythreyee said...

Cham: Thanks. Sure, give it a shot.

Barbara: Thanks. It's my pleasure to participate in such a purposeful event.

RedChillis: Thanks. Sometimes I do to.

Kalai: Thanks.

Vimmi: Thanks.

Uma: Thanks,and thanks for reminding me about potatoes. I have included in the post.

Rupa: Thanks.

Dhivya: Try it and tell me if you liked it.

Sagari: A very simple gravy. I love it too.

Lakshmi said...

Loved the color of yellow! Majjige huli is my fav!

EC said...

moru kuzhambu is quick to make as compared to the normal one and a great combi with beans paruppu usli..great colour of ur kuzhambu

Sia said...

classical kannadiga dish mythreyee:) can never get bored of majjige huli and urs looks just perfect.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Hi mythreyee

Looks good., Today i made same dish Moru kolombu :)

Mythreyee said...

lg: Thanks.

easycrafts: You reminded me of paruppu usli now. Thanks.

Sia: Thanks.

Vanamala: Is it! same pinch.

Ramki said...

Hi Mythreyee,

Another one of your recipes goes straight to my model recipe for 1001 Basic South Indian curries cookbook.

/Thanks
Ramki

Sam said...

I am not quite sure what a winter melon is, but the amazing colour is making my tummy rumble - it looks mouthwatering. I love, love, love curry leaves.

Arvind said...

I should say that this is not just for women to prepare but after me doing this who is a out of india in holland i was should thank you and my mom who made this simple dish so delicious.

I tried with cucumbur and its as tasty as this is think.

Thanks a lot

My Space My Thoughts! said...

i love majjige huli and this is exactly how my mom makes it!! love it!