Jun 19, 2008

Sweet puff - Coconut filling


This is a wonderful recipe for sweetened coconut filled puffs. My first try and a big hit I should say.

I made use of two frozen items availabe in the US. One is the readymade puff pastry sheets and the other is the shredded coconut. I have made this recipe as simple as possible so it is easy to try this and relish the very nostalgic taste. If any of my hometown people read this post, I am sure it will bring back memories about the sweet coconut buns that are availabe in a road side shop in Agraharam, Salem. We used to buy those coconut buns when I was a small girl. It's actually a coconut filled round pie. The taste and texture are more or less the same as this sweet puff. Every weekend, we used to buy this freshly baked sweet buns. I don't know if they still sell them. Coming to the recipe, here is one easy and sweet snack that everybody can enjoy.

Ingredients:

Grated fresh coconut - 2 cups ( I used the shredded coconut in the freezer section in Indian stores)

Sugar - 1 cup

Jaggery or brown sugar - half cup

Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon

Puff pastry sheets - 1 packet - I used pepperidge farm brand


Method:

Thaw the puff pastry sheets and the shredded coconut if you are using frozen.

Prepare the filling:

Cobine coconut, sugar and jaggery/brown sugar and a tablespoon of water and heat in a heavy bottomed kadai.

Keep in low to medium heat.

Keep stirring. You will notice that the consistency will loosen. But, after around 15 minutes, it will start thickening.

Mix in the cardamom powder.

Take off from heat when the consistency is thick at the same time a little moist too.

(Don't wait until all the moisture is absorbed).

Keep it aside and wait until it comes to room temperature.

Making the sweet puffs:

Cut the pastry sheet into three parts. Make use of the folding. Then cut each part into two. There will be totally 6 small rectangles.

(Keep the unused portion of the pastry sheet in the fridge not in the freezer)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Take a tablespoon of the filling and place it in one side of the rectangle so that you can close the filling.

Close the filling and seal the sides. A drop of water can be used to seal.

Use a fork to make a design.

Repeat this for all the puffs.

Poke once on the top of each puff to vent.

Line the six puffs in a non stick baking tray.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.

Take it out and cool completely before you taste. The filling will be really hot.

If the puffs are not sealed proplerly, there will be a leak. Discard the leaked filling on the tray.

Enjoy the sweet and delicious puffs. You can as well shout 'Bam' like Emeril and sprinkle powdered sugar on the puffs before serving.

Repeat these steps for the remaining pastry sheets and the coconut filling too. Thaw the pastry sheets before proceeding.

This is my entry to AFAM - Coconut hosted by Suganya of Tasty palletes. Thanks suganya for hosting this event.

17 comments:

Finla said...

Wow even bofore i read the recipe i knew how delicious it will be the combo.
Imagine biting into that pastry and then the taste of that coconut filling. Pure heaven

USHA said...

Nice recipe pa. While reading your post it took me to my childhood days....Thanks

amna said...

u dont get puff pastry sheets in india and ever since i moved to singapore, i have been excited cuz i saw so many kinds in the supermarket here. cant wait to try but the prob now is, i dont have an oven! will get on next month :)

FH said...

Ooh! I love that, good one Myth!:))

EC said...

How i wish we could get the pastry sheets in India...lovely dish

TBC said...

That's a very nice sweet treat. I would like to try this when I get puff pastry sheets.
Cannot stand Emeril!

Sunshinemom said...

Looks delish. Everyone is going nutty with coconuts. I didn't know they were so popular. This AFAM is to watch out for.

Uma said...

delicious puffs, Mythreyee!

Vani said...

Oh, nice recipe, P! We used to get those sweet buns in BLR/Mysore too! I think they were called dilkhush - defintiely made people's hearts happy! :) Got your email. Will email back with my number. Nice getting to know u, M! I have to change my thinking to P now :)

Kalai said...

These puffs look phenomenal, Myth! I think I would be the one to shout BAM as I sprinkle powdered sugar over the top!! :)

Jaya M said...

Lovely and I bet these are real treats for people like me ..
I usedto make the same Pepperfridge Puff pastry sheets to make potato Patties but never thought of making these ..looks great .
Hugs and smiles
jaya

Anonymous said...

Your puffs look delicious. So cute!

anusha said...

Hi Can I store these puffs and reheat it next day? or does it have to be consumed the same day?

Mythreyee said...

I had it the next day also and it was fine. May be shelf life not more than 24 hrs. Don't have to keep it in the fridge.

BDSN said...

Hi...what temp do you bake these coconut puffs and how many puffs do you yield for this recipe?

BDSN said...

Hi...what temp do you bake these coconut puffs and how many puffs do you yield for this recipe?

Mythreyee said...

Hi BDSN, try this one you will love it. Very nostalgic one. Bake at 375 degrees and the yield is around 15 to 16 approximately.