Jul 7, 2008

Mango lassi


I hail from the mango city Salem, India - famous for Malgoa/Malgova maambazham (mango), reminds me of the beautiful childhood rhyme,

"maambazhamaa maambazham, malgova maambazham, selathu maambazham, thithikkum maambazham.....".
In my hometown, we get rains during summer and we call it mango showers (rains). We used to have one mango a day for the most of our summer vacation. Whenever we visit our relatives in other cities during summer, my dad will proudly share a few malgova mangoes with them. In fact, our relatives would wait to relish the sweet salem mangoes. Once I came to the US, I rarely visit India when it is summer there. There is a big 'Bangana balli' mango tree in my Inlaw's place in Chennai. We loved eating those sweet mangoes last summer when we were in India.

It is now summer in the US and the grocery stores are filled with the aroma of delicious mangoes. Summer is no fun without mangoes and here is one sweet lassi that I learnt from my dear friend Priya. She prepared a delicious mango lassi when I visited her last weekend.

Ingredients:

Ripe mangoes - 2

Sugar - 3 tablespoons or as per taste

Milk - half cup

Yogurt - 1 cup

Cardamom powder - half teaspoon

Method:

Peel the mango skin and separate the pulp from the seed. Discard seed.

Substitute 1 cup canned mango pulp in case you don't have fresh mangoes. If using sweetened mango pulp, reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixer/blender.

Adjust the ingredients as per your taste.

Serve cold.

This is my entry to the following events:

WYF - Juices and Ice cream event hosted by EC in Simple Indian food.

WBB-Summer Feast hosted by Sia of Monsoon spice

Eating with the seasons hosted by Maninas of Food matters

MM: Mango mania hosted by Meeta of What's for lunch honey?

Sweetseries - Cool desserts hosted by me.


Summer Splash! hosted by Aartee of From the kitchen.



This is also my entry to "Recipes for the rest of us" event hosted by Ramki of One page cookbooks.

Thank you so much bloggers, for hosting the various events.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good picture. Love this summer treat.

Vidya.

EC said...

Wow...so many events at one go..great. thanks for participating

Sia said...

u have made a record by sending it to 6 events mythreyee dear :) thank you for this delicious entry. and u r right, summer is not really summer w/o mangoes :)

mitr_bayarea said...

Simple and easy to make for Bay Area hot summer days.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Yummy mangoes. My staple drink when I have guests over. Never used elachi's in it before will try it next time.

amna said...

was that pic taken in ur kitchen? nice granite and yellow mango contrasting on it! adding cardamom is new to me, shud try it next time i make lassi. in singapore, mangoes are expensive so we normally have it as is :)