Aug 25, 2008

Wheat laddu with ghee residue


Ghee is nothing but clarified butter. Ghee is used extensively in Indian households for sweets and many other dishes. It is prepared by melting unsalted butter until the liquid turns honey color. We usually filter the residue and use the clear ghee in cooking. We usually discard the ghee residue which is dark in color. It is the burnt butter that remains in the bottom of the pan when preparing ghee. I have used this residue in making wheat laddu. Ghee residue is called Thuppada gassi in kannada. Here is how I prepared the laddus.


Ingredients:

Ghee residue - 1 tablespoon

Ghee (clarified butter) - 2 teaspoons

Wheat flour - three-fourth cup

Granulated Sugar - half cup

Method:

After draining the ghee, you will find some residue at the bottom of the pan. Do not drain all of the ghee. Leave a couple of teaspoons of ghee.

To this residue add wheat flour and keep stirring in reduced heat in the same pan, until the raw smell goes away from the wheat flour.

To this add sugar and keep mixing. Drops of water can be added if there is no moisture at all.

When the sugar blends well with the flour, turn off heat and wait until you can hold and make a ball in your palm when it is still warm.

Use all of the flour to make tasty wheat laddus.

This is my entry to sweet series - chikki laddu event hosted by me.




Subscribe

7 comments:

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
wheat laddu looks so soft and tempting....

FewMinute Wonders said...

My amma and grand ma used to make them for us but with rice flour as soon as the ghee is made. My god we used to fight for the extras.

Anonymous said...

Great healthy laddus!!

Mythreyee said...

Priar's: Thanks.

Foodyguru: Very nostalgicaa? good.

Hima: I would not say healthy. But really tasty laddus.

Unknown said...

I TRIED UR RECEIPE BUT DIDNT GET THT MUCH SEMISOLID CONSISTENCY TO MAKE LADDUS,THOUGH I ADDED 6 TSP OF WATER...I DO NO WHERE I WENT WRONG SAME DID WITH GHEE RESIDUE,MEASUREMENTS...BUT ANY HOW I GOT CRUCHY WHEAT PUTTU..MY HUBBY LOVED IT VERY MUCH...THANX FOR UR RECEIPE

Roopa said...

Hi...
Today i tried ur wheat laddu receipe it came out good and my little sweet daughter loved it...Thanks for posting it....

Anonymous said...

The idea is good but using the gassi of ghee is not. The reason its black is b/c its pure carbon and eating burnt sugars (i.e carbon) has been linked to many cancers. Just like you shouldnt be eating burnt toasts. I use regular ghee and they turn out just fine.