Sep 11, 2008

Spinach Sambar / Palak Soppu Huli / Palak Keerai Sambar


We all know that Popeye made himself super strong by eating spinach, but you may be surprised to learn that he may also have been protecting himself against osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer, arthritis, and other diseases at the same time. Learn more about the nutrition and health benefits of Spinach here.

In the below recipe for palak soppu huli (palak soppu is spinach leaves and huli is sambar), I have used the spinach, toor dal and tamarind, added the sambar powder to make a delicious and healthy huli / sambar. I mix this huli with cooked white rice or even make it a sidedish for sambar. Makes a healthy and filling soup too.

We make this huli every thursday. My mom used to say that it is Sri Raghavendra rayaru's favorite and is prepared every thursday in most madhwa households as thurday is Sri Raghavendra rayaru's day. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Spinach - 1 medium bunch

Toor dal - ¾ cup

Tamarind paste - ½ teaspoon

(If using the fresh tamarind, extract pulp from one lemon size tamarind)

Oil - 2 teaspoons for seasoning

Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon

Urud dal - 1 teaspoon

Channa dal - 1 teaspoon

Red chillies - 2

Sambar powder - 1 tablespoon. Click here for the recipe

Substitute with 3 green chillies for sambar powder

Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon

Asafoetida powder a pinch

Salt to taste

Method:

Cook toor dal with 2 cups water. Mash the cooked toor dal (whisk well to mash) and keep it aside.

Chop the spinach leaves and wash it well. You can use half the spinach in the spinach bag available in the Indian grocery store. Keep it aside.

Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds, when it pops add the urud and channa dal. When the channa dal turns light brown, add the red chillies and the chopped spinach leaves.

Add one cup water. When the content is getting cooked, add tamarind paste, Sambar powder (huli podi), turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida powder.

Let the spinach get cooked well. Now drain the excess water from the cooked toor dal and add the dal to the cooked spinach. Mix well and reduce the heat. Turn off in one boil.

Serve hot with cooked white rice with a dab of ghee or use as a side for chapathi.

This is my entry to FIC - green hosted by Sunshinemom of Tongue ticklers.



Subscribe

18 comments:

Usha said...

Healthy,simple and delicious :)

Vee said...

Soppu huli looks great, P!

Supriya said...

I will try this soon Mythreyee. I avoid onion/garlic on Thursdays, in honor of Sri Raghavendra Swami. This is a perfect recipe for that day, especially since its HIS favorite.

Sunshinemom said...

I use spinach a lot but avoid it during the rainy season! Love this recipe and thanks for sending it to the event. I am sending my cheedais to you soon!

Mythreyee said...

Usha, Vani: Thank you.

Supriya: I too try to avoid onions and garlic on thursdays. If we do this every thursday, we will sure consume greens every week.

Sunshinemom: I do it year round. During winter/rainy, I do this for lunch and not dinner.

EC said...

We make keerai sambar and this appears to be similar to it..

Supriya said...

Hi Mythreyee, I made this today. Love the udad and chana dals in this. I'd never added these before. Thanks.

mitr_bayarea said...

This is a healthy recipe for spinach, since you aren't adding coconut to it.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Oh, I love soppina huli... I had made it just a couple of days back! yours looks thick and yummy!!!

Ai Lien ^-^ Cook for Happiness said...

Wow made from Spinach !!! Thanks for the recipe...

Lokesha said...

Simply I can say, Superb...!!!

Cheers ~~ / Lokesha R.
Copenhagen, Denmark.
(Nagamangala Town, Karnataka, India).

Unknown said...

I made it today and loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

After making, u can also give tadka of garlic with ghee.... try it... it tastes yummy....

Shrikant Kulkarni said...

Hi Mythreyee,
In this post you have claimed that your mom used to say that it is Sri Raghavendra rayaru's favorite "huli". Please provide evidence/reference of the same. Being a Madva Brahmin myself I have never come across such a story in any book not even in his biography "SHRI RAGHAVENDRA VIJAY". I don't feel it is right to claim such things which are baseless and without reference. Request you to remove the sentence if you are unable to find the reference.

Mythreyee said...

what your saying might me right. But why should my mother not say this huli is Sri Ragavendra swamy's favorite. May be she told us to make us eat this healthy food, or may be her mom told her or may be it is really true. Everything need not necessarily be justified. If people like you think or prove it is not a fact, just don't believe it. I am sure it does not mis lead anyone to believe it is true. In fact even if one believes it is true ( like me) , it is for good only, for I make this almost every Thursday thinking of Sri. Raghavendra. Thank you for the comment anyway.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Tried it..tastes yummy..easy to make..thanks for the recipe..

Unknown said...

I tried came very yummy and easy to do .... Thank you