Jan 16, 2009

Microwave Mango Halwa


Wish you all a very happy new year 2009. This is my first post this year and I wanted to make a SWEET start. I learnt this recipe from my FIL's brother Ramani chikappa, who is fond of trying new recipes especially sweets. There is a huge banganaballi mango tree in my inlaw's place and chikappa prepared this delightful MANGO HALWA using homegrown fresh ripe mangoes and cooked in stovetop.

The three main ingredients in this recipe are mango, sugar and ghee and of course some cardamom for flavor. Instead of using the fresh ripe mangoes, I used store bought sweetened canned mango pulp. Since it was already sweetened, I had to use less sugar. Also, instead of stove top cooking, I preferred microwave cooking, since it is mess free and no need to bother about over heating or constant stirring.

I have tried corn flour halwa and badam halwa in microwave and I was pretty confident that this halwa too will turn out to be good. The result was no dissappointment. The halwa was smooth, shiny, 100% mango taste and all in all, a divine treat and is a perfect sweet for any occasion. I have used saffron too in this recipe, may be that's why, the color of the halwa is orangish. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Sweetened mango pulp - 1 can (850 gms) I used Shamiana kasar mango pulp sweetened

Sugar - white granulated - 1 cup

Ghee / clarified butter - half cup

Cardamom powder - half teaspoon

Saffron - few strands ( a pinch )

Method:

In a wide bottomed microwave safe high heat resistant large (corning ware or pyrex glass ware preferably) container add one can of mango pulp.

Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add sugar and stir well until even distribution and again microwave high for 5 minutes.

Stir in cardamom powder and saffron strands. Stir the content and cook for 20 minutes, stirring once every 5 minutes.

Add ghee and stir in until even distribution. Adding more ghee is optional.

Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes and do not forget to give it a stir every 4 or 5 minutes.

After the halwa consistency is reached, give a quick stir and allow a standing time of about 5 minutes before tasting the halwa. If you think the halwa consistency is not reached, microwave again for 4 to 5 minutes.

Scoop a dollop of this halwa and garnish with a single cashewnut before serving.


Subscribe

17 comments:

Rajesh &Shankari said...

ayyo rama, please don't do this. It looks really smooth & shiny

Mrs.Kannan said...

Hey great recipe..How does the color changes in to red..yummy

Sumathi said...

Wow..Looks so yummy..

SMN said...

such a rich color..

Anonymous said...

wow thts so innovative,and so non cumbersome too
Lovely colour and i liked the glaze of halwa

Priya Suresh said...

Wow delicious halwa...glossy halwa looks prefect n cute..

FH said...

Happy new year, great sweet to start the year! :))

Mythreyee said...

Shankari: Yes. it is so smooth and shiny.

Mrs Kannan: The color I think is because of the saffron that I used in the recipe.

SMN: Thanks.

Alka: Me too.

Priya: Thanks.

Asha: Thank you.

Bindiya said...

this is sooo new to me,but must be delicious!

Vani said...

That looks lovely, P! Belated New Year and Pongal wishes to you! Got back from India a few days ago. Not completely back in the groove yet.
Hope you are doing well.

Shreya said...

it looks so delicious! love the colour:-)

Swarna said...

Hi,
Wow looks yum...going to try this and you know what I have the exact brand of mango pulp sitting at home.....bliss

I have tried your banana muffin its the favorite of my 2 year old. I too have a food blog but have never put much effort into it.
Going to post some recipes with pictures starting this year.
I hope to send one of my sweet as a submission...keep the fantastic recipes going.......

-- Swarna

Anonymous said...

Hi Mythreyee,

I wish this year to fulfill all your dreams come true.

The dish is so colourful and tempting and made me to try it out.

It is so tasty.

Thank you for the dish.

Sangeetha said...

Hi Mythreyee,
This is my first visit to your blog...was really impressed by the halwa pictures and had to try it...tried it today and it came out excellent...thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this looks yummy and I wanted to try to make it.....but how much halwa do I use? There is no amount listed.

Mythreyee said...

I have mentioned in the recipe. Please use one can of mango pulp. Let me know if your feedback. thanks for trying this recipe.

KORA said...

I have tried this recipe today, it turned out real good..and its easy to make as well....thank you Mythreyee for such nice, innovative recipe...

Janaki