Jun 16, 2010

Chayote chutney / Chow chow thogayal



The chayote or chow chow (as we call it), is a pear shaped squash, that can be used to prepare kootu, sambar, palya(curry or salad), raitha. For the first time, my kitchen has seen this versatile vegetable in the form of thogayal or othewise chutney. We loved this healthy chutney with rice. I had prepared a spicy dry okra curry to go with it. Though the dinner menu was simple, it was a feast. I used my Cuisinart 11 cup food processor to grate the vegetable. This 'no onion, no coconut' chutney will go well for dosa too. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients: 

Big chayote/chow chow - 3

Water - half cup

Asafoetida powder - a pinch

Tamarind - a pinch (if using concentrate, take a drop or two)

Salt as required

Dry red chillis - 3 or 4 count

Turmeric powder - a pinch

Urud dal - 2 tables spoons

Curry leaves - handful

Method:

Peel the chayote skin and chop the vegetable into chunks avoiding the seed in the center.

Using the grater disc in the food processor, grate the chayote chunks.



In a saucepan, allow the grated vegetable to boil in half cup or three fourths cup water.

Add salt as it boils. Allow it to cook and turn off when the choyote is cooked and all the water disappears.

Allow it to cool down.

Meanwhile, roast the urud dal with curry leaves in low heat using very little oil until the urud dal is golden color.

When the roasted dal cools down, reserve a few roasted dal and a couple of roasted curry leaves for garnish and grind the following using a mixer. Cooked vegetable, red chillis, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, tamarind and the remaining roasted dal and curry leaves. Seasoning with mustard seeds is optional.

The thogayal/chutney is ready. Garnish with urud dal and curry leaves. Serve it with rice or dosa. 

I used CUISINART CUSTOM PRO 11 CUP FOOD PROCESSOR, that I got from Macy's. It is also available in Amazon. My best kitchen companion or grating, chopping and grinding. 

This is my entry to 'My food find event' hosted by Srimathi of Few minute wonders.

Subscribe

6 comments:

Vegetarian Zest said...

my husband being a tambram loves chow chow and i always wonder how to use it...this recipe of yours look good to me.I can make him happy by making it for him.

Rachana said...

The Chutney looks so delicious! Lovely Click!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Very innovative recipe.

divya said...

yummy and delicious chutney...tempting pics

Mythreyee said...

Vegetarian zest, rachna, sanjeeta kk, divya: thanks you so much. Do try one day and let me know your feedback. Thanks again.

sharkhind said...

great idea. you make my mouth watering... thanks