Jan 4, 2007

Patra - Curried Taro Leaves


Taro Leaves

Ingredients:

Approximately 3 Taro Leaves

Rice – 1 Cup

Desiccated Coconut – 1/3 Cup

Dhania – 3 Teaspoon

Cumin Seeds – 1 Teaspoon

Urud Dal – 2 Teaspoon

Red Chillis – 1 Cup (Reduce the quantity if the Chillis are really hot)

Tamarind – 1 small lemon sized

Jaggery – 2 teaspoon

Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon

Salt to taste

Method:

For the Masala:

Soak Rice for 2 hours and Drain the Water

Roast Dhania, Cumin, Urud Dal, and Red Chillis separately and Grind them together. Keep it aside.

Grind the Rice along with Desiccated Coconut and the Spice Powder.

Add the Jaggery, Turmeric powder, Tamarind and Salt and Grind Well.


for the Leaf Preparation:


Wash the fresh Taro, turn it around and scrap the midrib and all the veins. Do the Same for all the Leaves.

Take the Scrapped side of one Taro Leaf and apply the Masala, until the full leaf is covered.

Place a Leaf on top of it and Apply the Masala fully.

Roll the Leaf and Apply the Masala while rolling.

Steam Cook the Prepared Leaves like Steam Cooking the Idlis.

Take them out and Let them Cool.

Different Varieties it can be served:


Cut it into Pieces and Pour little Coconut Oil on top and Serve.



Cut them into Rings, Roast them in a Tawa like making Cutlets and Serve.



Cut them into small Pieces. Take a Kadai. Add the Pieces and Some Jaggery . Fry for a minute. Sprinkle Coconut in the end and Serve.


This recipe is Contributed and Photographed by SRK.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

//Add the Jaggery, Turmeric powder and Salt and Grind Well.//
Tamarind is left out here.Please add it.Thanks.you have presented it very well.

Menu Today said...

Hi,
I like patra very much. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Pavani said...

Hi Mythreyee, I tasted patra (frozen patra.. cooked) at one of our Gujarati friends and I really liked them. Preparation looks a little elaborate, but I guess the work is all worth it. Thanks for a very traditional dish.

USHA said...

Hi Mythreyee,

This is something new to me, i never came across.
Thanks for sharing the receipes with pictures...

Mythreyee said...

SRK: Its your Photograph and recipe that has made my site more beautiful. I have to say thanks.

Menu Today: Welcome.

Pavani: We too get frozen here and I have tasted it. Taste wise there is a lot of difference between the frozen and the fresh. thanks for dropping by and I hope, you will try the recipe if you get the fresh patra leaves.

Usha: yes, this is an awesome dish and I tried it for the first time in a Gujarathi Restaurant.

FH said...

Excellent pics and that dish is mothwatering too.Great one.

Sangeeta said...

Yummy good. Both K and I like Patra. Thanks for sharing the recipe. You have put up excellent pictures.

TNL said...

I like this so much! The crispy Patras taste the best....

Trupti

Krithika said...

Looks delicious ! thanks for sharing

jayakarthik said...

hey mythy wonderful gal
u rock
how much time did it takes to prepare this dish?
mythy i guess u have lots of patience too
thanks for sharing the recipe

Sia said...

patrode is my all time fav food... i can have it for bf, lunch, brunch and even for dinner:)

Seema Bhat said...

Mythreeyee,
What a coincidence. I made pathra yesterday too. My version is a little different and will post it soon. Will try out your version soon and let you know how it turned out.
Thanks
Seema

Mythreyee said...

Asha, Sangeetha, Trupti, Krithika, Jata, Sia, Seema: thanks and credit goes to SRK.

Nidhi said...

I really liked your version of Patra in which you roasted them on tava. Have to try it cos my hubby loves them.

Thanks..

Shah cooks said...

Hi Mythree, How much time does it take to make this? I always thought patra took a long time and is very labour intensive.It looks good!I have only tasted the frozen version.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe - thank you. I'll look for taro leaves.

Anonymous said...

Lovely patras, one of my fav snacks...my mum used to make it all the time...you have prompted me to make it myself....thanks for sharing...

Mythreyee said...

nidhi: yes, I too love when roasted in tawa.

mallugirl: Only taking of the veins from the leaf is time cosuming. otherwise its not too tedious. make a paste, apply it while also rolling it and steaming it. thats all.

kitchenhand: I found taro leaves in India Cash n carry in Sunnyvale, California.

Dilip: Sure sir, its sure a great recipe to try.