May 10, 2007

Tomato / Thakkali Thokku


Here is one recipe that is an all rounder side dish for Dosa, Iddli, Chapathi, Rice and Bread. Kids love it. This is my sister B's recipe and is also photographed by her. She used Naatu Thakkali, which is by nature a little sour. If trying this recipe with the Roma Tomatoes (The fleshy tomatoes that are not sour), add a little Tamarind to the recipe.

Ingredients:

Tomatoes - 10 (around 2 kgs)

Fenugreek powder - 1 teaspoon

Chilli powder - 2-3 teaspoon

Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon

Sugar - 3 tsp

Salt to taste

Asafotida Powder

Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon

Sesame Oil(Idhayam) - 2 tablespoons

Method:

Puree the Tomatoes without adding water.


Heat Oil in a Kadai and add Mustard seeds. When it sputters, add the Asafoetida Seeds. Add the Tomato Puree. Boil the content for 1/2 an hour in low heat. Stir occasionally.


Add Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Salt and Sugar.When it becomes half the quantity (smooth paste), add fenugreek powder and allow it to boil for 5 more minutes. Cool and bottle it. best for Idli, dosa, chappathi, curd rice, tomato rice, sandwich etc., Store in refrigerator.

15 comments:

FH said...

Looks like a great Thokku,colorful Myth.I love the funny bowl too!:)
Have a great weekend,hope you have got special plans for mom!Enjoy;D

Richa said...

thokku looks so yummy, am drooling here :) beautiful bright color!
thanks to U & ur sis for the recipe

Anonymous said...

:)) i love that funny bowl.

Sharmi said...

hey I do it the same way but I call it chutney. it was one of my first posts in my blog. it tastes great!

nalini said...

What a coincidence, I have like half a dozen tomatoes in my fridge!! Will definitely try this tasty recipe!

Roopa said...

looks great and very nice color. the bowl is so cute!!!

Seena said...

Mythreyi,
thokku means pickle? I have one but it is different from this..
how was the carrot halwa? I made once but it is toooo soft..

indosungod said...

Tomato thokku looks really tasty. One of my favorites too. Goes well with pretty much anything

Anonymous said...

Thokku is my fav!! will try ur way...looks yummy!!

Mythreyee said...

Asha: Thanks a lot. I too liked that funny bowl.

Richa: Thanks.

Reena: he he he..

Sharmi: I will check it out. Also, Many people call this chutney and some people call it pickle. For chutney, I will saute the tomato and grind with other ingredients.

Roopa: Thanks.

Seena: We call this thokku. Let me find out what tomato pickle is. I have heard but not tried so far. Sharmi calls this chutney. Regarding the carrot halwa, when we overcook the carrots, the halwa becomes too soft.

IndoSunGod: yes, my favorite too and as you said, it can go with anything. Best with Chapathi during travel.

Aruna: Sure, give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

looks great...thanks for sharing

Mythreyee said...

Jeena: Thanks and thanks for dropping by. Visited your site and its very nice.

Dilip sir: Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

Dear Ladies,

I'm genuinely glad to learn that a noticeable number of civilized Women, still are interested in cooking..!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have prepared this , but a bit different. Checkout Supersamayal's - Spicy tomato Thokku

Unknown said...

You said Asafoetida seeds and fenugreek powder. Is that a mistake because we normally use fenugreek seeds and asafoetida powder. The I below the seeds go in first and asafoetida at end. Is that correct?