Follow Paajaka Recipes on Facebook

Sep 30, 2007

Bajji

Bajji is a simple dish prepared by dipping the sliced vegetable in the batter and deep frying it. Though this is the standard procedure, each kitchen has a different recipe for the batter, I mean the proportion of the flour to prepare the batter differs. Here is the recipe for Bajji from my my mom's kitchen. I use Potatoes, Onions, Bell Peppers (Capsicum), and Plantain (Raw Banana or Vaazhakka) to make Bajjis. Plantain Bajji is my contribution for the JFI Banana for the month of October. Thanks Mandira of Ahaar for hosting this wonderful event that was started by Indira.



Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Rice Flour

3/4 cup Gram Flour

2:1 measurement of Rice Flour and Gram Flour respectively

1/2 spoon Maida

a pinch of Soda

Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tea spoon

Asafoetida Powder

Salt as required

Vegetable: 1 Plantain or 1 Potato or 1 Onion or 1 Bell Pepper

Oil for deep frying


Method:

Prepare batter thus, Mix the Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maida, Soda, Red Chilli Powder, Asafoetida powder and salt. Mix well using a whisk. Then, pour water and mix well until there are no lumps. Make sure the batter is not thin.

Plantain Bajji:

Heat oil in a Kadai for deep frying. Peel off the skin and slice the plantain. Immediately, dip one sliced plantain into the prepared batter and slowly immerse it into the hot oil and deep fry both the sides until golden brown. Carefully, drain the oil and place in the paper towel, so that the excess oil is absorbed. one, two or maximum three sliced plantains can be fried at a time. See to it that each bajji is fried well. Serve hot with any spicy chutney.

For Potato Bajji: Peel the Skin and Slice. Follow the same procedure as Plantain Bajji.

For Onion Bajji: Chop the two ends and take away the outer skin and slice carefully, so that the rings stay in place. Do not disturb the rings. Then follow the procedure as Plantain Bajji.

For Bell Pepper Bajji: Chop both ends and take away the middle seed part. Cut into rectangle shapes and follow the same procedure as Plantain Bajji.

Above is the picture of Bajjis prepared with Plantain, Potatoes and Bell Pepper from my mom's kitchen.

18 comments:

Seena said...

yummy snack..love it..

Sia said...

right choice for this time of the year Mythreyee:) i have started serious deep frying business at home

amna said...

spicy and yummy bajjis so suited for the monsoons..

Jayashree said...

Mmmmm....love bajjis in all forms and shapes!!!

FH said...

Looks delicious.I made the same too for her!:))
Love the photo Myth, great entry.

Mythreyee said...

Seena: Thanks.

Sia: Good, and your right, this is the time of the year to enjoy all deep frying Indian delicacies.

Nags: Yes, Its so suited for this time of the year and I make it spicy too.

Jayashree: Just like me. I love Bajjis in all shapes.

Asha: Thanks. And, I guess there will be many other Bajji enties too, as this is the most simplest and delicious snack prepared in all Indian kitchens during monsoons
;-)

mb said...

fresh and crispy! I could eat all of them :) thank you for your entry! -- Mandira

Icecoolmaiden said...

lovely..i tried it with the chilly today its just awesome.....way to go

Icecoolmaiden said...

way to go ! tried it with the chilly !!!just awesome!

Mythreyee said...

Thanks! Mandira and Cookingwithlove

Raks said...

Looks yummy...Tempting me to make...:))

remya said...

hot n crispy bhajjis....just lov'em...urs look yummm...

Anonymous said...

Before making onion or potatoe bajji. I microwave the onions or potatoes or both for 1 min(high). This way onions and potatoes get cooked half way. Then I make bajji usual way.

Rumya

DEEPA said...

very yummy one mythreyee......i could eat them anytime ....

Linda said...

oooh I am so happy to see you are also using more rice flour than besan! I think that makes all the difference in the crispiness ;)

Your bajjis look great and tempting :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, bajjis are my weakness! I came to your site because I saw a lovely pic of sambhar and idlis, and now I'm hooked! I'd just like to ask you to visit my blog, because I am currently trying to get a cookery book published, and it's all about Indian Vegetarian recipes. Please check it out and keep updated on how it's going!

rajendra rao said...

My Sister-in-law argues that it is called Bonda in Bangalore and Bajji in Tamilnadu.
I say it is Bajji everywhere. What is your answer?

Mythreyee said...

It is bajji everywhere, as far as I know.