Aug 30, 2007

Cherry Tomato Pulao






My friend Sharmi of Neivedyam is hosting the Jhiva for Ingredients event and she has chosed the staple food of the south, RICE. Last weekend, my dear friend Sowmya gave me a bag full of fresh ripe cherry tomatoes that she grew in her garden. The first thing that came to my mind was to try 'Mahanandhi' Indira's Cherry Tomato:Basmati Pulao, which I've been wanting to try for a long time.



Big thanks goes to Sharmi for hosting the event, Indira for her wonderful recipe and to my friend for the tasty juicy Tomatoes. The main recipe is from Mahanandhi, but I substituted Sprouted Kala Channa in the place of frozen fresh chickpeas. Here is how I prepared.



Ingredients:

Basmathi Rice - 1 Cup

15 to 20 cherry tomatoes - cut into half

1 Big Onion - chopped

3 green chillies - cut lengthwise

1/2 cup Sprouted Kala Channa

Salt

Bay leaf - 3

Oil for seasoning
1/2 pinch Food Color : Orange red color (Optional)

For Masala, grind coarsely the following:

2 pods Cardamom

2 cloves

1/2 inch Cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns



Method:

Heat oil in a large saucepan. I used Prestige Kadai Pressure cooker. Fry the Onions until soft. Add the green chillies, masala powder, bay leaf and Sprouted Kala Channa. Fry for a couple of minutes.

Add the cut Cherry Tomatoes and fry until the Tomatoes are tender. Now, add the Basmathi Rice, pour exactly 2 1/2 cups water and brind it to a boil.

Add Salt and the Food Color (optional) and give a stir.

Since I used Kadai Pressure cooker, I turned off the heat after 3 whistles (Please remember to take the cooker away from heat if cooking in electirc cooking range). If you are using a large saucepan, like Indira says, reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for atleast 10 to 15 minutes, until the moisture is absorbed. Do not stir as the basmathi rice will break. Just before serving, sprinkle finely chopped fresh cilantro. This tasted yummy and the best part is, its so easy to prepare.

Very delicious and yet simple. Thanks Indira. This is my kadai pressure cooker that I got from India this time. I recommend this very handy and a convenient Cooker for busy moms.


13 comments:

Shammi said...

Wow, that rice looks good. And that kadai pressure cooker of yours looks really good too. Would love to know where you got it!

Richa said...

pulao looks so nice n colorful!
that kadai cooker is too cute :)

Mythreyee said...

Thanks! I got that in Chennai in Murugan Stores. I am sure its available in most of the Big Stores in all cities. There are two sizes. One big and one small. This one is small. Just for our family. I have the big one too, which I use for parties. They are available in 3 bright colors. The best part is, its non-stick inside.

Mythreyee said...

Thanks Richa!, I use this for all pulaos and gravies and soups and also, sweets like carrot halwa. Amazing product.

Pdk said...

Color is so red.. wihtou even using chille powder... though i dont have stock of cherry tomoto in my fridge, since i had already planned on tomatt rice with kala channa( what a coincidence) , will add ur coarsely ground paste to the pulav...

Manasi said...

Lovely entry and the pressure cooker/kadhai is too good!

TBC said...

That's a nice recipe using cherry tomatoes.They have so much flavor!

Mythreyee said...

Priya, Manasi and TBC. Thanks a lot. Yes, Cherry Tomatoes add a distinct flavor to the pulao. I've been using the cherry tomatoes in all the dishes for the past few days. It got over today..;-(

Sia said...

chrry tomatoes look so cute and so does ur kadi pressure cooker:) beautiful entry

Anonymous said...

Hi Mythreyee, you're back blogging!:) Love the rice recipe and that beautiful new pressure cooker - wow :)

Mythreyee said...

Sia & Linda: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love your pressure cooker!! Never thought I'd say this about pressure cooker but it is such a pretty looking thing! :)
Pulao looks yum!

Mythreyee said...

thanks vani and yes, i too love the cooker.