Jan 22, 2008

Aama vadai / Dal or Paruppu Vadai



Aama vadai is a south indian speciality snack that is prepared on every single occasion. Aama vadai, payasam, and obbattu are the traditional trio for all festivals including Diwali and Pongal. There are a lot of variations in preparing these vadais. It depends on the proportion of dals used. This is my entry to 'My legume love affair - event' hosted by Susan of 'The well seasoned cook'. Thanks to Susan for hosting this event. This aama vadai is my mom's recipe. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Toor dal - 3 cups

Channa dal - 1 cup

dry Red chillis - 5 to 6

Asafoetida powder - quarter teaspoon

Curry leaves - from 2 to 3 strands

Salt - as required

chopped Coriander leaves/Cilantro

Oil for deep frying

Method:

Soak Toor dal and Channa dal together in water for 3 hours.

In a grinder/food processor, add the red chillis, asafoetida powder, salt and curry leaves. Grind for 5 to 6 seconds and add the soaked dal. Use less than half cup water and required amount of salt and grind everything together for less than a minute. The dal should be partially ground. (i.e, half the dal is should be just broken and the remaining dal remains whole.)

Add chopped coriander leaves/cilantro and mix dal well. Make small balls and press to flatten a little. Deep fry both sides until it turns golden brown.



Variation: Mix chopped red onion and deep fry the vadai.

12 comments:

amna said...

my mom makes the most amazing parippu vada and i just love it! have never tried it myself..

Sagari said...

perfect snack for this cold weather vadas look so yummy

FH said...

I made some Kadalebele vades too last week. Mixed dal vade is always yummy.Great entry Myth!:)

Anonymous said...

deliciasoo

Mythreyee said...

nags: You can try. I did not try until last diwali. Its not tedious, but time consuming.

sagari: Yes. Very much. I love this for this cold weather.

Asha: Thanks Asha, Kadale bele vada is also my fav. My mom used toor dal more because, it will make the vada crunchy. I am very very happy to see your comments Asha. Thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous: Gracious!

Jayashree said...

Parippu vada is my favourite too....good entry for the event.

Mythreyee said...

Thanks Jayashree.

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it tomorrow for navratri. However it would be good to also know what could potentially go wrong e.g. what would make the vada hard, how can it be made crisp. A few tips please.

Thanks - Prabha

Mythreyee said...

Drain the dal and then grind it. The water that is retained inside of the dal itself is sufficient most of the time. That is one point you have to remember. Then, try to make small vadais. Make a ball gooseberry size and then flatten it and then fry it in oil in medium heat. You can do 3 or 4 at a time. Let me know how it came out. thanks for trying my recipe.

Unknown said...

Try soaking left-over vadais in piping hot rasam. It's delicious. Seems to be a staple in late night stalls in the Nagercoil area. You have this while you wait for your kothu parotta. Though one generally finds rasa vadai only with medhu vadai, in Nagercoil alone I came across rasa vadai with aama vadai and now I prefer it more. Krishna

Mukund said...

Hi Mythree,

Thanks. By the way, may I know what camera do you use to take these pictures?? :-) It is really looking good, should be tasting good without any doubt. The way u are garnishing them is really good. I am a budding cook. Forced to cook at onsite. My testing rats are my roomies. I have soaked my channa dal, toor dal. If it comes good, the credit goes to you. If it comes bad.. will take up the responsibility. Wish to do a lot more recipes from your blog. A request from my side is to add the tamizh names of the ingredients. I got confused with channadal and channa, and also soaked channa with the other dals. :-)

Patyskitchen - Exploring Global Flavor Around The World said...

Thanks for the recipe, I did it over the weekend. My aama vadai perfectly done. Crispy and taste. I added 1/2 egg to ensure the vadai stand together. You can see my experiement at Patyskitchen. Thanks ya.