Jan 25, 2008

Idichu Pizhinja Payasam / 'Rice in coconut milk' dessert


Idichu Pizhinja Payasam is no more a difficult payasam when we have readymade coconut milk available in the store. I know tamil, so, I can somewhat guess what's idichu pizhinja in malayalam means. I think it's a process of extracting the milk from the coconut. If you love coconut, here's a treat for you. This is my entry to RCI Kerala hosted by Jyothsna of Currybazaar Thanks Jyotsna, for hosting this event. I got this recipe from here. I did not extract the milk from the coconut, instead, bought the readymade coconut milk. So, the payasam was ready in minutes. Here is how I prepared.


Ingredients:

Cooked rice - 1 cup

Jaggery - half cup

Sugar - half cup

Coconut milk - 1 can (400 ml)

Cardomom powder - 1 teaspoon

Method:

Melt the jaggery and sugar in a kadai adding just a teaspoon of water.

When it melts, add the cooked rice and mix well.

When the content heats up, empty one full can (400 ml) of coconut milk.

Mix well and add the cardamom powder.

Wait until one boil comes. Then, remove from heat.

This payasam is just fantastic, and very easy to prepare.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I am visiting your blog. I've bookmarked this recipe to try it on an occasion. Since this is so different from the usual payasam I make. Thanks for sharing the recipe.You have a great blog.

Shilpa said...

I love this sweet. I think the combo of sugar and jaggery makes it more delicious. Nice entry for RCI :)

bee said...

i've been looking for this recipe. thank you.

Finla said...

Yumm the payasam looks so good.
Last time i had anykind of payasam was for onam

indosungod said...

With coconut milk and sugar what can possibly go wrong delicious I am sure, I have tasted this once and the taste is not easy to forget.

Mythreyee said...

Shriya, Thanks a lot.

Shilpa, you are correct. It sure was so delicious. Thanks.

Bee, Oh, your welcome:-)

happycook,the last time I had was for pongal. Yesterday was my daughter's bday and I made this.

Indosungod, coconut milk itself enhances the taste. combined with jaggery, there is no way we can go wrong. As you said, the taste is not that easy to forget.

FH said...

Beautiful dessert Myth, rice pudding is always welcome in my house!:))

Mythreyee said...

Thanks Asha! This rice pudding is welcome to my stomach any time;-)

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

The blog content worth stopping by.Greetings from Botswana to you.

Mythreyee said...

Thanks! Anamika.

Jayashree said...

Good choice for RCI....this payasam is a favourite in most mallu households.