Apr 1, 2008

Nankatai - Indian Biscuit


Nankatais are Indian biscuits prepared with Maida and vegetable shortening. The base recipe is TC's Nankatai, but I did not add almonds and saffron in my recipe. Here is the simple recipe for Nankatai (Indian cookie).

Ingredients:

Sugar
USA - one and half cups
India - one cup

Vegetable shortening - a little less than one cup (I used dalda brand from Indian store)

Maida flour - approximately two cups

Cardamom powder - half teaspoon

Method:

Grind the sugar and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.

Add the vegetable shortening and cream the mixture using an electric hand mixer.

When the content becomes creamy and light add the cardamom powder and flour and mix well, using your hand.

The consistency should be soft and at the same time you should be able to make balls out of it.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Make small balls out of the dough and arrange neatly in a non stick cookie tray. Press a little on top of each ball. You can use a fork to dent lines on the top.

Place in the preheated oven and bake for approximately six to seven minutes and take the tray out. Allow it to cool completely in the same tray.



Note: More flour will make the nankatais more crunchy and they crack when baked. More shortening will make the nankatais more fragile and will break when touched. Perfect nankatais are not too crunchy and do not break when touched and has a light golden color in the bottom.

28 comments:

Lavanya Raj said...

Perfect Nankattai's Mythreyee..and also a usefull note at the end.

Anonymous said...

Wow...these looks very authentic and delicious!!! Do u think I can use Crisco shortening for these? Will the measurements change?

Mythreyee said...

Lavi: Thanks!

Homecooked: Yes, you can use the crisco shortening. Measurements don't change. While mixing the flour, take into account the 'Note' I have included at the end. Thanks.

TheCooker said...

Oye Chef, the nankatais were delicious!
Glad you liked them.

Sreelu said...

Mythreyee, All I can say is I have eaten these and loved them :) bookmarked the recipe will try them out

amna said...

reminds me of the nancuts by gran used to bring me from this bakery in alpy :)

Anonymous said...

Can I use butter instead of shortening? I am just a little wary of using shortening.

Mythreyee said...

TC: I love the recipe. Thanks!

Sreelu: Thanks! it's very easy to prepare these cookies. Give it a shot.

nags: Thanks! ya, my avva used to make butter cookies using sand oven those days.

AKay: You can do cookies with butter as well. Try the tutti frutti cookies (that I have posted earlier) in which I have used oil instead of butter. The cookies come out so well.

EC said...

Nankatais look superb

SMN said...

Hey i too recently blogged this my fav it is

Jayashree said...

Looks good, M.....I love to snack on these.

Medhaa said...

Hi these look yummy, the shape is so perfect and a very helpful note at the end. Love the pictures now i know why my Cranberry shortbread were crumbly.. thank you..:)

Unknown said...

mythreyee these nankhatais look awesome!

TBC said...

I love reipes with just a handful of ingredients.

Uma said...

so mouth-watering. love the picture too with all the nankatais lined up to be eaten. Lovely!

Cham said...

Looks perfect without crack. Thanks for the note.

Kalai said...

They look perfect, Myth! Nice one! :)

Mythreyee said...

easycrafts: Thanks!

smn: My favorite too. Irresistible.

Jayashree: A very addictive snack;-)

Medhaa: Your welcome.

Saswati: Thanks!

tbc: I too like recipes with just few ingredients. This is the base recipe, you can enhance it with more nuts and saffron.

Uma: Thanks.

Kalai: Thanks.

Dhivya said...

wow!my favorite one:)looks so yummm

Niya prakash said...

Thanks

Nankattais are like '' pearls ''

Madhavi said...

Hi, first time on your blog, nice recipes.
nankatai look awesome, mouthwatering!!

plz do visit @

http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Revathi said...

Wowww I remembered the nankatai that you prepared for us !!

Mythreyee said...

Dhivya, Niya, Madhavi, Revathi: Thanks :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Mythreyee,
this recipe is really good. but instead of vegetable shortening( didnt haveany) I used ghee.it came out really well.My friends just loved it .Thanks a lot for this recipe :-).

Unknown said...

hi,I am Prachee
nice reciepe I have not tried yet
but I am trying today only.

Thanks,

Anonymous said...

hi mythreyee.. wonderful recipe! but i have a doubt .. should we use a pinch of baking powder to it or is that not necessary ?

Mythreyee said...

Actually, for nankatai (this recipe) no need to use baking powder.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I tried today & it was amazing.

Thanks.