Apr 5, 2008

Poondu Kuzhambu / Garlic Gravy


Here is a fantastic tasty recipe for poondu kuzhambu. The base recipe is from Sri Ranjini of 'To Indulgence'. She has posted a wonderful recipe for Poondu Kuzhambu in her blog. I took the masala part of it and tried the same in my style. Thank you Sri Ranjini, your masala for kuzhambu is very tasty. We all loved it.

Ingredients:

Garlic pods (peeled) - 1 cup
(please use quarter cup garlic if using garlic in India as Indian garlic is much stronger and pungent than the garlic we get in the US)

Gingily oil - 2 tablespoons

Mustard seeds - half teaspoon

Turmeric powder - half teaspoon

Asafoetida powder - a pinch

Curry leaves - a strand

Tamarind concentrate - half teaspoon

(If using tamarind, use one small lemon size and soak in water. Squeeze and extract the pulp. Remove the seeds)

Water - 2 cups

Salt as required

Dry roast and grind the following:

Black peppercorns - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 1tsp
Toor dal - 1 tsp
Urad dal - ¼ tsp
Red chillies – 1 or 2 as per your taste


Method:

Heat one and half tablespoons of oil. Add the mustard seeds, when it pops, add the peeled garlic pods and curry leaves.

When the garlic turns light brown, add the tamarind and two cups water. Bring it to a boil.

While it's boiling, add the asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and salt.

After a couple of minutes add the ground masala powder little by little whisking at the same time as as to avoid lumps.

Allow the content to boil for atleast 10 minutes at low heat. The content will start thickening. If you added more water and it takes a longer time to thicken, you can add a tablespoon of besan flour and whisk it in half cup water and pour it in the gravy and stir well. This will thicken the gravy in no time.

Finally turn of the heat and add the remaining half tablespoon of gingily oil for an extra flavor.

You can serve this hot kuzhambu with steaming hot white rice. Serve with pappad for a delicious wholesome lunch or dinner.

This is my entry to the JFI garlic hosted by Mathy of Virundhu. Thank you Mathy for choosing a wonderful nutritious ingredient for the event.

23 comments:

Vani said...

Ooh, that must be nice! I don't think I've ever used that much garlic in a week, let alone in one dish! Am adding this to my "must try" list.

Siri said...

The kuzhambu looks so yumm.. very nice entry!!

Siri

Uma said...

Delicious gravy! Nice entry.

Revathi said...

looks gorgeous... i soooo love poondu kozhambu. a very apt entry

Unknown said...

This recipe is a keeper for sure Mythreyee.

Sia said...

thanks myth, now its my turn to try it:)

Kalai said...

Awesome, Myth!! Just came here from Lavi's site and she has a diff version posted! A must try for garlic addicts like me! :)

Shubha Ravikoti said...

hmmmmmm i can smeel the poondu.. amazing.... lovely recipe... do check my blog too...:P

amna said...

reminds me of my mom's kuzhambu. bookmarked! :)

Anonymous said...

Tried this one for lunch last afternoon. Reminded me of the 'Milagu Kuzhambu' my mother makes when she visits us.
This turned out very tasty.
I added a small piece of jaggery towards the end.

Mythreyee said...

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. It was too good my husband also enjoyed it. My mom used to make milagu kuzhambu in same. I called my mom to tell her.

Radha

Unknown said...

Thanks mythreyee!!!!!!!!! me and husband enjoyed the kozhambu. My mom used to make milagu kozhambu in same way. I called her to inform and she was very happy

Mythreyee said...

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that you liked it. I make milagu kuzhambu too. So spicy and perfect on a winter day.

PaakaPriya said...

Hi Mythreyee,
Thanks! Tried this recipe today. It was really delicious.

Mythreyee said...

Your welcome!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. Came out really well. I added a pinch of sugar in the end for a bit of sweetness.

Perspectivemedley said...

Hi I tried this kuzhambu today, it was very very good! :) thank you!

Rachana said...

Wow!!! looks gorgeous and am sure would taste great too:)
Cheers and Do visit,
Rachana
rachanakothari.blogspot.com

lavanya said...

yummy gravy..tried it for lunch.. was great

SathyaSridhar said...

Garlic kuzhambu looks delicious,,, i like this kuzhambhu very much when my mom cooks for us... i hvnt tried myself after marriage i like to try ur version of poondu kuzhambhu,,, my mom cook like thokku poondu thokku,,,

Shilpa said...

The dish came out very well. I did the exact way specified in the site and the proportion was just perfect. My husband and my mom loved the dish.Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Really enjoyed it...