Feb 23, 2009

Kadle bele or Gram dal chutney for rice

I used kadle bele (otherwise called gram dal or chana dal) to make a quick and tasty chutney. Rice with this chutney and some javarisi vadam is heaven. I sometimes side this rice with curd if the chutney is too spicy.

Ingredients:

Gram dal / kadle bele - 1 cup

Grated fresh coconut - 2 tablespoons (frozen fresh coconut shredded/sliced can be substituted. Thaw it before use) - increase or decrease the quantity to your taste.

Ginger - 1 inch - peeled and chopped

Red chillies - 2

Green chilli - 1

Asafoetida powder - 1 pinch

Tamarind concentrate - half teaspoon or raw tamarind a pich or two

Salt as required

Oil - a teaspoon for roasting dal

Curry leaves - a sprig (optional)

Oil - a teaspoon for seasoning

Mustard seeds - half teaspoon

Urud dal - 1 teaspoon (optional)
Water - half cup or as required

Method:

Using a teaspoon of oil roast the dal until it is golden brown. Keep stirring as you roast.

Once done, reduce the heat and add ginger, curry leaves (if using) and red chillies. Turn off the heat. Allow the content to cool down.

When it is cooled down completely, grind the content with coconut, green chilli, tamarind, asafoetida powder, little salt and water. Just enough water to grind. Do not add too much water.

Note: use less salt as the final quantity will be very less.

Transfer it to a bowl.

Now, heat a teaspoon of oil and pop the mustard seeds. Also add urud dal and wait until it turns golden brown and then pour the seasoning over the chutney and stir.

Serve this with white rice. Add a dab of ghee with this chutney rice for extra flavor.

This chutney is my entry to three wonderful events chutney/dip mania hosted in mane adige, Lentils mela hosted in Ashwini's spicy cuisine and My legume love affair - eighth helping hosted in The well seasoned cook. Waiting to see all the roundups.

Subscribe

8 comments:

Vani said...

I love kadale bele chutney. I usually use the huragadale but it's not quite the same as frying the kadale ourselves, right? Nice entry, P!

indosungod said...

It is always good to have a few chutney recipes in hand for those last minute cooking days. This is a new chutney and looks delicious.

Chutneytales said...

Nice presentation..The chutney looks yummy

FH said...

YUM! I make this every time I steam some Thatte doses too. I add red chillies, so mine always red chutney! :)

Susan said...

This looks mouthwatering! I had no idea you could make a chutney with dal - just goes to show how much I do not know. ; }

Thank you, Mythreyee, for sharing your lovely condiment for MLLA8!

SKM said...

kadlebele chutney turned out like a white chutney??? How is that?

Mythreyee said...

Vani: Thanks.

Indosungod: You are right. They are few minute wonders.

Madhumathi: Thanks.

Asha: I forgot what brand I got. Just half red chilli gave it enough heat. Usually I add 4 to 5 red chillis and it turns out red.

Susan: Thanks.

SKM: It is because of the red chilli brand I used. I used only half red chilli and it was equal to adding 4 chillis. Also, I used more coconut as my daughter loves this chutney with more coconut. That's why it is white and not red.

Unknown said...

Hi Please add fried tomato or Heerekayi ( Turai -in hindi / Peerakai - telugu Peerkangai - tamil
) to this , chutney and this makes it better. i would not recommend ginger as Ginger / garlic have their own flavor and sometimes ameoliorate the original taste that we actually look for