Mar 25, 2010

Spicy Dal palak - my version of Keerai masiyal



I had a bunch of spinach and a cup of cooked toor dal. Earlier, I used to prepare only Keerai sambar with dal and spinach. This time I tried something different. I sautéed some onions, added tomatoes, then cooked the spinach in it with some added spices and finished it with dal. Ta-daaa!!! my version of keerai masiyal, which I named spicy dal palak was ready in no time. The taste was just out of the world. We had this with rice. I am sure it will taste good with chapathis/rotis too. Let me share the recipe. Here it is.

Ingredients:

Palak / Spinach - Chopped - 2 cups

Cooked Toor dal - 1 cup

Onions - 1 medium - preferably red onion - chopped

Tomato - 2 - pureed or half a can tomato puree

Green chillis - 4 count - (increase or decrease as per your taste) Since the gravy is green, colored green chillis like yellow, orange or red can be used

Ginger - 1 inch - skin peeled and finely chopped (1 teaspoon ginger paste can be substituted)

Turmeric powder - quarter teaspoon

Salt as required

Dhania powder - 1 tablespoon

Jeera powder - half tablespoon

Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon

Urud dal - 1 table spoon

Oil for seasoning

Method:

Heat oil in a wide kadai. Add the mustard seeds, when it splutters, add the urud dal, when it turns golden color add the green chillis, ginger and onion.

Sauté the onion. When it turns light brown, add the tomato puree.

When you see the content bubbling, add the following: turmeric, dania powder and jeera powder.

Stir well and add the chopped spinach. Pour just half cup water and cook the content partially closed.

When the spinach is well cooked, add the cooked toor dal and mix well. Wait for one bubble and turn off heat.

Serve with rice or roti. This is a very healthy alternative for many other high calorie gravies.

Note: This gravy can be cooked without the dal too. Also, you can avoid onion or tomato or both.


This is my entry to 'Healing foods event - Spinach' hosted in Dilse, an event started in Siri's corner


Subscribe

11 comments:

Rekha shoban said...

dal palak looks very thick and perfect..healthy too!

Hari Chandana P said...

Mmmm.. Yum Yum Yumm... looks spicy and very tempting... nice presentation.. inviting clicks!!

FewMinute Wonders said...

Looks good. I am so happy that you are blogging again and getting creative in the kitchen.

Tina said...

First time to ur blog...Spicy dal palak sounds creamy and yummy...Following u.

Unknown said...

Looks really fantatic.. added u in my blog roll. u have a wonderful space..

Priya said...

Awesome recipe.. u have a nice space here... i m ur new follower now...

Uma said...

Hi Mythreyee,
Your version of dal palak is tempting and interesting.
liked the tomato soup too.

Mythreyee said...

Rekha, Hari Chandana, Srimathi, Tina, Srikar's kitchen, Priya, Uma: Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is so yummy healthy food. I did this again today and had it like a soup. It was just fantastic.

M. Wilson said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have to restock my dals. I will try this soon.

SpicyTasty said...

Healthy palak Mythreyee.. Thanks for the recipe...

Chennai Shopping Offers said...

This is an incredible dish, I make this dish at least once a week at home..Really Yuummmmyyyyyy.