Apr 17, 2009

Almond dates kheer




Oh! it was heavenly. I fell in love, the first time I tasted kajoor ka kheer in Turmeric restaurant in Sunnyvale, CA. Since then, I've been planning to try this recipe one day. Mahanandi's post about Sukham Ayu cookbook recipe, Dates Kheer kindled my desire to try this recipe and I thought I can try today, being my birthday, a perfect day to treat myself with this delicious kheer. I tried this in my own style and it turned out to be fantabulous (a new word used by many now a days). What an excellent treat it was! No mess since I tried this recipe in Microwave. The tasty kheer was ready in few minutes. The kheer can be prepared in stovetop or microwave. I am sure it is mess free in stovetop method too. As for me, no kheer is complete without the flavor of cardamom. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Pitted dates - 12 count

Almond powder - half cup

(or grind 2 handful almonds to a fine powder)

Sugar - 1 cup

(reduce the amount of sugar if the dates are too sweet)

Evapored milk - 1 can

(you can substitute with plain milk too)

Water - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - half teaspoon

Microwave method:

Chop the dates very finely. As the dates are sticky, I used a chopper to finely cut the dates.

Pour water in a microwavable safe container and whisk in the almond powder. There should not be any lumps.

Microwave on high (open) for approx 5 minutes.

Now, add the dates and whisk well.

Microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Add in sugar and cardamom and whisk well.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Pour one can of evaporated milk. Add more sugar if you think the kheer is not sweet enough.
Microwave on high for 3 more minutes and the kheer is ready.

Stovetop method:

Chop the dates very finely. As the dates are sticky, I used a chopper to finely cut the dates.
Pour water in a kadai and whisk in the almond powder. There should not be any lumps.

Keep stirring in medium heat for 5 minutes. You will notice the almond powder is getting cooked in the boiling liquid.

Now, add the dates and whisk well.

Keep stirring in medium heat. You will notice the boiling almond milk bubbling up. Keep stirring continuously.

Add in sugar and cardamom and whisk well.

Reduce the heat and give a brisk stir for a minute.

Pour one can of evaporated milk or plain milk. Add more sugar if you think the kheer is not sweet enough.

Keep in low heat for 3 more minutes and the kheer is ready. Turn off heat.

This is my entry to this month's MEC edition for Nuts hosted by me. Many thanks to Srivalli for initiating this MEC event. I am glad to host this event this month.

This is my entry to the Mithai mela hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons.


Reminder: Please send in your recipes for MEC Nuts. You have time till the end of this month. Ample time to create your own dish using nuts in the microwave.

Subscribe

13 comments:

indosungod said...

Happy Birthday! Mythreyee. Ofcourse it is important to treat yourself on special days and it does not get better than this kheer. Delicious.

A_and_N said...

Happy Bday! :)

I've tried this recipe and it works so well every time!

Andy said...

Jus been introduced to the world of Cooking blog and wht can I say but that I am lovin it!!.....U r on my blogroll and wish u a very happy bday!!

Indira said...

Happy Birthday, Mythreyee! Dates kheer makes a delicious and nutritious treat for celebration, glad to read that you tried and enjoyed this recipe.

Lavanya said...

Happy bday mythreyee..kheer looks so yummy n it is very healthy with dates n lamonds..i will give a try!!

FewMinute Wonders said...

Happy Birthday! Wonderful idea to mix dates and nuts. Will give it a try as soon as get my hands on same dates.

Kay said...

Happy birthday, Mythreyee! :) The kheer looks sumptuous!

Chutneytales said...

Happy B'day!

The dates kheer looks so yummy!

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Belated Happy Birthday! Eppadi irruke.. you added sugar? I make dates milkshake for breakfast- almonds, milk,dates and cardamom- yummy and very filling!

Mythreyee said...

Thank you Indosungod, A&N, Andy, Indira, Lavanya, Srimathi, Kay, Madhumathi & Shankari for your wishes. Happy that I treated myself with this awesome kheer.

Ramki said...

AAh.. I have'nt checked your blog in a while and felt so happy to see this delicious recipe. Keep going !

Myvegfare said...

hi, I love dates i keep book marking all dates recipes will try this too.., it looks so delicious....

Supriya said...

Hi Mythreyee, I made this almond dates kheer recently for Dassera. It is simply superb. Thanks.