Apr 23, 2009

Mint rice / Pudina saadam


Oh! I love mint. I have used this wonderful herb in chutney, gravy, rasam, pulao and raitha. My version of mint pulao is mixing the ground mint paste to the cooking rice. Just thought, why not add the ground paste to the cooked rice instead of cooking rice. I called this creation 'mint rice' that retains all the goodness of mint plus the intense minty aroma. A wonderful variety rice for any occasion. Here goes the recipe for this easy, breezy, classy, minty dish.

Ingredients:

Cooked rice - 2 cups

(the cooked rice should not be too soft or sticky)

Mint/pudina - 1 big bunch

(I used 2 handful of mint leaves)

Onion - 1 large - chop the onions

(I used one large red onion)

Desiccated coconut - half cup

(I used powdered desiccated coconut)

Green chillis - 3 to 4

(I used 4 thai chillis. The number of chillis depends on how spicy you want the rice)

Ginger - half inch - peel the skin and chop it finely

Garlic - 2 cloves

(I used half teaspoon garlic paste and 1 teaspoon ginger paste)

Dry bay leaves - 3

Oil for seasoning - 1 tablespoon

Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon

Urud dal - 1 tablespoon

Salt to taste

Ghee fried cashews - handful

Ghee for flavor - 1 or 2 tablespoons

Method:

Grind the mint with desiccated coconut and green chillis using very little water. Keep it aside.

Heat oil in a large kadai. Add mustard seeds. When it pops, add the urud dal. When it turns light brown, add the bay leaves and the chopped onions.

Fry the onions in medium heat for a minute and add the ginger and garlic. When the onion turns translucent add the ground mint.

Reduce the heat and keep stirring. You will notice the bring green mint turning light green. Add salt and turn off heat.

Mix in the rice until equal distribution. Add ghee for extra flavor. You can also mix in a handful of the powdered desiccated coconut. Garnish with ghee fried golden cashews and/or sprinkle powdered desiccated coconut on top and serve separately or accompanied with any raitha of your choice.

Subscribe

12 comments:

Finla said...

Wow i can imagine the burst of flavour in this rice, love the colour and looks so yummy delicous.

A_and_N said...

My mom used to make this for us! :)

Athika said...

First time in your blog. Pudina is on of my favourite herb. Love to try it. Wow...It looks delicious in the picture. And you have a nice variety of recipes.
Thanks for sharing. Here is the link to my blog:
http://foodmasala.blogspot.com/

Priya Suresh said...

Green rice looks amazing!

Chutneytales said...

I love mint rice..The color is lovely!

Thinker said...

I love mint..i will try this for sure..thanks

Anonymous said...

Cool..Looks fundu and lovely. I think we should be able to substitute mint with cilantro,which could be Cilantro rice.

Mythryee,
Thanks for commenting in my blog.I will cover most probably lot more topics than just cooking. Really appreciate it.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I love mint rice...Looking so delicious. I love to eat daily too..

anusharaji said...

the color is killing me mythreyee

Unknown said...

nice recipe, I m going to make it today , i am sure it will be wonderful

Anamika said...

I cooked this recipe and loved it. My husband who doesn't think much of my cooking liked it too! I am making it for the second time today.

sumathi said...

Wow! very nice spicy dish.