Oct 18, 2006

Thenkuzhal




Ingredients:

1-cup rice flour
1½ tbsp urud flour
Asafoetida
Jeera – 2 tbsp
Salt
Butter – 1 tbsp
Oil for deep-frying
You need a presser, which has 3 small holes.

Method:

Mix Rice flour and Urud flour in a mixing bowl. Add Asafoetida, Jeera (cumin), Salt. Melt the butter and whisk salt in it and pour it in the flour. Gently mix the flour and add required amount of water to it and knead the dough. The dough should not be too sticky or too hard. Now heat the oil. Apply oil to the inner walls of the presser and fill ¾ of it with the dough. When the oil is ready for frying, squeeze the dough into the oil through the press. Fry thenkuzhal until it turns crispy. (Don’t let it turn brown). Strain the oil. Store in an airtight container when it cools completely.

8 comments:

FH said...

Now we are talking!! Mouthwatering snack,great for this weather.After all those cookies we see these days including mine, it's wonderful change:))

Unknown said...

The thenkuzhal turned out hard..I was wondering if there was some way to make it softer.

seema

Mythreyee said...

Use a little more butter. Also, the hardness depends on the rice flour brand. I am sorry that it turned out hard.

Gaalipata said...

The amount of butter must be perfect, but no one knows how much. May be u learn as u go. he amount of butter makes all the difference in Tangol(Karnataka[Bangalore])

Mythreyee said...

Yes. it you are right.

Unknown said...

hi
very nice recipe
i will surely do it and one more changes u can reduce the amount of urad dhal flour so that it will b very crispy.

Anitha Mohan said...

Hi Mythreyee,

I have learnt a lot from you. Whenever I need to do something new or clarify some recipe I know I always log into paajaka.com :)wanted to thank you. My husband loves the food I prepare these days. I have been referring to Paajaka.com since a year now. finally made time to send this message to you :)

Anitha

Mythreyee said...

Thank you so much Anitha. You made my day. I am glad you like my recipes. Thanks again.