Oct 9, 2006

Vegetable Biryani


This is a very simple vegetable biryani that I prepare in my favorite Kadai Pressure Cooker. It’s the best I would say. I have electric cooking range in my house. Follow the given procedure to avoid over cooking and to prevent burning. I use Sona masoori rice. You can also use biryani rice/basmathi rice.

Ingredients:

Basmathi rice 1 cup wash and soak for 15 mins
Mixed diced vegetables ( peas., carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, beans etc.) – 2 cups
Onion medium size – 1 – thinly sliced.
Jeera – 1 tea spoon
Oil and salt.

Masala spices:

Cloves – 2/3
Bay leaf – 1
Cinnamon – ½ inch

For the masala, grind the following:

Garlic – 5 flakes
Green chillies – 2 (if its too hot)
Fry the above in little oil separately and Grind together with
Cardamom – 2 pods
Fresh coconut 2 tbsp or ½ cup coconut milk
Corriander leaves – handful

Method

Heat oil in a Pressure pan, add jeera and then masala spices.

Add onion and when it turns light brown add the ground paste.

Stir for a couple of minutes. Add the vegetables and salt.

Let the content heat up for sometime. Stir occationally.

Add 2 cups of warm water. When the water comes to a boil add rice and stir well.

Pressure cook in low heat for 10 minutes.

If using a heavy kadai, cook for 20 minutes with lid.

If using a rice cooker, transfer the contents to the rice cooker and cook until done.

Garnish the Biryani with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with any Raitha and /or chips.

Note:

1.You can add sliced almonds to make it more tasty.

2. You can add mint leaves instead of coriander leaves.

3. You can add the mint leaves after sauteing the onion instead of grinding it together with other ingredients.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very colorful.good effort.keep posting.:D

Mythreyee said...

hi everyone,

thanks a lot for the encouragement. I am happy that you are trying out the recipe at home. Pls do not forget to leave your comment on how it turned out. I will be posting more recipes. thanks once again.

abovo99 said...

I like biryani rice...but vegetable birani? Interesting.

Anonymous said...

This seems to be decently easy to try out. Shall let u know how it turned out after i try it.

Anonymous said...

Great work! The blog is well organized and informative. Keep the recipes coming.

FH said...

Hi Mythi!!I see lot of unfamiliar ppl here to comment!:))
Biryani looks wonderful.Orange,white and green!Pooja's round up colors this week.Send it her!

Anonymous said...

Mythreyee,
Happened to come by your site while searching for some recipes. Getting bored of my cooking ;-). The Veg. Biriyani looked very yummy, so I made it for dinner tonight and it turned out just like I had imagined :-)
Simple recipe, great taste.
I also tried the Cauliflower masala, that turned out well too.
Thanks for taking the time to post your recipes along with the mouth watering pictures.
Cheers!

black said...

I tried it today n was very easy to make, It came out very well
thx

black said...

I tried it today
it was very easy to make
and it came out very well too
thx