Follow Paajaka Recipes on Facebook

Aug 24, 2007

Hayagreeva muddy

Hayagreeva is an authentic sweet from Karnataka. This is done on special occasions and can be done very easily. The sweet is made with Channa Dal, Jaggery and Ghee. I am contributing this delicacy for my Dear Friend Asha's (Foodies Hope) Round up for RCI Karnataka . Thanks Asha for hosting this event.


"Hayagreeva" is a brand name dish of the Madhwas. No major Madhwa social event is complete without the "Hayagreeva" dish. It is called "Hayagreeva maddi" by Madhwa chefs. (Madhwas are followers of the Dvaita Philosophy founded by Sri Madhwacharya). This sweet was prepared by Sri Vadhiraja Theertharu as prasad to Lord Sri Hayavadana and this is the speciality of the sweet. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Channa Dal - 1 Cup

Jaggery / Brown Sugar - 2 Cups

Ghee - 3 tablespoons

Powdered Cardamom - 1/2 teaspoon

Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 teaspoon

Desiccated Coconut/ Grated Kobri - 2 tablespoons - Roasted in Ghee

Cashews or Almond slices - roasted in ghee.

Method:

Dry Roast Channa Dal for a couple minutes in medium heat. Pressure cook the dal. (The cook time for channa dal is more than toor dal). After the dal is cooked, drain the water and keep the dal aside. The water can be used for preparing Rasam/Saaru.

Heat jaggery/brown sugar in a heavy kadai adding a quarter cup of water.

When the Jaggery melts completely, add the channa dal. Turn heat to medium.

Keep stirring until the moisture is almost absorbed completely.

While it's cooking, mash the dal with a masher.

Reduce the heat and add the other ingredients viz. roasted coconut, cardamom powder, nutmeg, ghee, and nuts.

Mix well and Serve warm or at room temperature.

13 comments:

Tee said...

We make this too...one of our favourites! great entry for RCI!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mythree
Hayagreeva looks great and delicious rich brown colour, faboulous entry for RCI.

Suganya said...

I dint know the reasoning behind the name. Now I do...

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
The sweet looks delicious! The color of the dish is unique!

FH said...

YAY!! A day early and the first entry for me.
What a fab dish to start with Myth, THANK YOU!!!!
I have heard that too 'Hayagreeva Maadi!", nostalgia!!:))
Love you, hugs! I have to categorize all these.This one goes to Desserts!!:)

Mythreyee said...

Tee: Thanks a lot and welcome to my blog.

Madhu: Thanks Madhu. Hayagreeva is one of my favorite sweet.

Suganya: There is actually a big story behind this. To learn the full story, click on the Vadhiraja Theertha link in the post.

Usha: Yes, it is. thanks.

Asha: Thanks Asha. Very sorry for the delay in sending the entry.

sudha said...

Hi Mythree,
U have been doing a great job.ur blog is too good.I have tried many of ur recipes and trust me,they all have come out well.I am a Kannadiga aswell.I got elated seeing hayagreeva recipe.Reminds me of my childhood when mom used to make it for every other function at home.Thanks a lot for posting it.Keep it coming.

Mythreyee said...

Amritha, what more a food blogger would need, than the sweet and encouraging words as you said. Thanks buddy. Thanks for taking the time to post the comment. Yes, Hayagreeva is one of my fav. sweet. Whenever I do this, its so nostalgic and I am also reminded of my childhood days. Thanks.

Kamini Shankar said...

WOW !!! Thats an amazing dish. Didnt even know that 'Hayagreeva' is the name of a dish. There is a famous saree store in Madras with that name.
Seems really yummy. Cant wait to try it out. Thnx Mythreyee !!!

Unknown said...

wow! hayagreeva looks great.So great that i can not resist my craving. I have got to prepare it now itself.sad na just can not run to any mathas or nor ask mom to prepare it for me. Anyways good sweetdish for deepavali. thanks for the recipe and wish u happy deepavali.

Unknown said...

wow! hayagreeva looks great.So great that i can not resist my craving. I have got to prepare it now itself.sad na just can not run to any mathas or nor ask mom to prepare it for me. Anyways good sweetdish for deepavali. thanks for the recipe and wish u happy deepavali.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Hi Mythree..Hayagreeva looks so delicious and mouthwatering..

shalini said...

hi Mythreyee,
Hayagreeva is one of my fav sweet, my mom used to make this to make me happy :) thnks